New or Vintage?

Dyno

Hi, folks.  If the taxman is good to me, I can start building my home theater audio system.  I wish to do things in stages.  First up: the main stereo speakers.

My priority with the audio system is on hi-fi music.  I care more about critical listening of good music than on capturing the lowest rumbles of the passing tanks in Saving Private Ryan.  My budget looks like it can handle something like a good used pair of Heressy's or something from the low end of the new Reference Series floor-standing speakers.  I'll add a subwoofer and center channel later, but not right away.

I'm think'n the vintage route is the best way to go.  What do you think?  How do the R-24's or R-26's compare the Heressy II's?

Edited by Dyno
  • Like 1

Dyno,

Welcome to the forum.

If you can find a way to make it happen, triple HII's across the front would be a great foundation for a rocking HT/music system.

Don't know much about the R-24/R-26 speakers except that they appear to be re-branded Synergy/Icon speakers that are available at Best Buy.  No where near "hi-fi" from my understanding.  On the other hand, the RP(Reference Premiere) speakers are on a different level.

Bill

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dyno said:

I'm think'n the vintage route is the best way to go.  What do you think?  How do the R-24's or R-26's compare the Heressy II's?

If you wanted a budget friendly alternative, I would recommend considering some of the RP-160M's before going with the R-2x models.  They will sound better plus quite honestly they have pretty good bass, lower than Heresy due to the ported design.  I use these all the time, I have them right next to some Heresy III's and to be honest I like them better.