MC225 joins the family

jimjimbo

Received this electrically and cosmetically restored masterpiece MC225 on Saturday.  Due to the fantastic weather here and grand children commitments, just got to hook this up today.  Source is an OPPO BDP-105D, preamp is a Mcintosh C-32.  I have to say that I am seriously stunned at how good this unit sounds, and it's not even "broken in"....I thought my MC30's and MC240 were terrific in their own right, but wow, this is one beautifully musical piece.  The clarity from top to bottom is just magic, and the low end is incredible.  Ran it through it's paces with some live Clapton, Sonny Landreth/Derek Trucks, and of course some Steely Dan and Tower of Power on the Khorns, La Scala's and (temporarily) Cornwalls.  I'm going to put some Heresy II's on it later today, and I know it's going to be great with those as well.  I can just about guarantee that if you put one of these on a pair of Heritage speakers, you won't even consider a sub, it's that good......

IMG_3561 (Large).JPG

IMG_3562 (Large).JPG

IMG_3563 (Large).JPG

• Like 7

I have the capability of running all 3 of the amp configurations through Khorns, La Scala's and another pair (currently Cornwalls).  1 amp to 1 pair of speakers through a switch I had custom made.  My initial impression is this.....the 225 is the best, most musical amp I own.  The 7591 power tubes provide a low end that is pretty surprising.  As described above, the clarity from top to bottom is amazing.  Don't get me wrong, the MC30's are absolutely terrific, but they sound slightly veiled compared to the 225, and that may very well be because of the "newness" of the 225, but the tube set is all vintage high end, as are all of my Mc amps.  The soundstage and instrument placement through the 225 is fantastic.  Can you tell that I like it?  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, USNRET said:

Very nice Jim. Lee I don't know if I am sad or glad that I hadn't heard of vintage vacuum, I probably would have bought a pair of 30's they look very nice in the site photos; I went with  a MC275 MK6 this morning.

You are going to love the new amp. After a few weeks , I think you will find it is just as good, or better, than the 225. I have had three three totally restored 225s and find that the 275 is more to my liking and it presents excellent soundstage and wonderful bass. There are comments about replacing the tubes in the amp and I did put in vintage BB 12AX7s and RCA 12AT7s and found that the stock tubes are just as good. Enjoy the amp.

Frank

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Don't get me wrong, the MC30's are absolutely terrific, but they sound slightly veiled compared to the 225, and that may very well be because of the "newness" of the 225

Ryan Kilpatrick at Audio Classics would agree with you. He told me that the 225 is a little "sweeter" than the MC30 when I thought about trading one of the 225s for two 30s. They all are great amps though!

Frank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jim,

How are you powering on your amps without a power switch, right now I have mine plugged into a power strip and turn the strip on and off.

Sorry I didn't see this question before today. I actually ordered some individual switched outlets to plug into a power strip and I can turn them on individually.

Jim,

Congrats on the new addition and enjoy the sound.  Did they convert the screw terminals to banana plugs for the speaker connections?  I have a pair of 30s coming in and was thinking of doing that.  Can I get a picture of what yours look like? 

Thanks!