If you ever owned a British car...

muel

When it ran and wasn't on fire.....I absolutely loved my MG.....probably why I kept it for as long as I did.

Rebuilt motor with Piper(?) cam, port matched head/intake, header and dual webber side drafts. ran straight back to ANSA tip....man that thing sounded glorious

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JEFKlipsch said:

When it ran and wasn't on fire.....I absolutely loved my MG.....probably why I kept it for as long as I did.

Same feelings about my 1972 Triumph Spitfire. When it ran, I loved it. After the upteenth time of wiring failures it set itself on fire one night. It burned gloriously.

Mark

• Like 3

Never owned one, but borrowed my brothers spitfire and it was like driving a go kart! I took an S turn at 50 mphs and the tires didn't even squeal, it was like it was on rails. I read an article in car and driver where they put a Cobra engine in one and they said it was better than most supercars they had tested. It took him almost 2 yrs to sort out his electrical problems, but when it was working, once up to speed, it was fun to drive!

Back in the Seventies, a friend of mine had a Triumph car and a Triumph bike at the same time.  They shared similar electrical problems.  He said there were hardly any wires that ran more than a few feet without having unnecessary connectors.

As another poster mentioned, the wiring connectors were especially vulnerable to road salt, so winter driving in Toronto caused many more problems to surface than he would see in the summer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arrow#422 said:

I "occasionally" miss my '73 Triumph GT6.

It had a straight 6 with dual Stromberg 175's, and weighed next to nothing.

Definitely a fun car, but being a coupe it was a hot box from the engine & trans heat.

At least the motor was easy to work on.  Release 2 latches and pivot the whole front of the car out of the way from the front.  It made frequent point adjustments a little more bearable.

@CECAA850  And each front tire could be used as a seat while doing so.

I thought of mine as a poor man's Corvette, or more like poor me - I don't own a Vette.

For only 98 Hp it seemed quick, fast, and nimble probably due to a curb weight of 1900#'s and sitting about 4 inches off the ground.  Shift points on mine were at 25, 55, and 85 mph but pushing it past those points resulted in too many rpm's to successfully find &/or engage the next gear.  Mine topped out around 120 mph.  I hated the 13 inch rim & tire combination because there was ZERO forgiveness with any road joints or pot holes.

A link to the full specs on the GT6 Mk3 is below - funny but not surprising is the turning radius was listed as 25'3".

http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/gt6/GT6specifications.htm

58afad3a5d048_ScreenShot2017-02-23at10_47_25PM.png.01bbec9162da986ab20954a60f0e1f82.png

FotoFlexer_Photo1722.jpg

• Like 3

My son and I were having a conversation on cars the other day and I mentioned a Bugeyed Sprite and how I always wanted one. My wife speaks up from the other room "why don't you buy one?". Umm, because I'd never be able to use it. Cool car though. (And best wife ever!)

My brother a an MGB back in the day. What a heap.

I lived in Daytona when I had mine.  That thing logged a bunch of hours on the beach.  It was a great looking car in the day and still has eye appeal.  It's funny though.  Every time I see an old Triumph or MG now days I'm shocked at how small they are.  They seemed much larger in my memories. 

Before I built the car in my avatar, I considered a Triumph TR6, or similar British sports car, but memories of my MG lingered.  The dilemma with owning a vintage British car is whether to keep it original to preserve its investment value, or update its electrical system so that it would be reliable.

The 3.5 liter Buick aluminum (aluminium to our Limey friends) V8 powered Rotus (Lotus/Caterham 7 knockoff) was the result.  With 200+ hp and 1800# weight it was extremely quick.  The mostly Delco electronics were reliable.  I miss it.

• Like 1

I have owned about a dozen MGB's. Got pretty good with every part of rebuilding one. My last one had a 3400 V6 from a '99 Grand Am. Yes, the engine was from a FWD car. Easy to turn it into RWD except for the water pump had to be electrical. Still have everything to rebuild king pins to SU carbs. Besides Lucas, I never understood how someone living in the climate of Britain could not design a car without water and wind leaks, and one that the heater would not heat effectively.

• Like 2

Other than Japanese or Korean-made vehicles, the ONLY foreign made AUTOMOBILE I ever owned was an Alpha 1300 Giulia...which, thanks to the auto craft shop in Vicenza, Italy...AND the PDO (scrap) yard...where a number of them resided in varying states of excessive disrepair....I was able to re-do the interior, AND turn it into a Giulia 1300 SUPER...by changing out the necessary parts power-train wise and /intake/exhaust-wise.  It was kinda COOL basically having an incognito Carabinieri police car!  But the Italian Webers were replaced with GERMAN-made Webers (Italian-made ones were crappy for a number of reasons!).  Bought it for 900 bucks, sold it for 2800 bucks when I left Italy!  Man...was that a fun sedan to drive!  Lots more fun than my buddies were having with their Triumph Spitfires and such!  But it still required regular maintenance of all kinds...the nature of the beast!

• Like 2

Owned both a 61 MGA and, I believe a 67, MGB.  They had their challenges but I really loved them.  Not really practical.  Cornering was exceptional and both fun to drive.  Very hard to start in the winter and yes I did live on a hill which often served me well.  I used to get them tuned regularly and had the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced.  The sound with new gaskets was exceptional.  I didn't have the electrical problems most have talked about.  Biggest issue was the cold weather starts. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:06 PM, Arrow#422 said:

@CECAA850  And each front tire could be used as a seat while doing so.

I thought of mine as a poor man's Corvette, or more like poor me - I don't own a Vette.

For only 98 Hp it seemed quick, fast, and nimble probably due to a curb weight of 1900#'s and sitting about 4 inches off the ground.  Shift points on mine were at 25, 55, and 85 mph but pushing it past those points resulted in too many rpm's to successfully find &/or engage the next gear.  Mine topped out around 120 mph.  I hated the 13 inch rim & tire combination because there was ZERO forgiveness with any road joints or pot holes.

A link to the full specs on the GT6 Mk3 is below - funny but not surprising is the turning radius was listed as 25'3".

http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/gt6/GT6specifications.htm

120 mph?  That's actually faster than the 1971 Corvette I had.  It topped out at about 116 mph, when the tach needle was in the orange "Valve Float Region", as the manual called it.  I bought it in early 1977, and although it was only it was only 6 years old, it was a clunker.  I strongly suspect the odometer had been turned back, because cam sprockets don't usually fail at only 70,000 miles.  As well, the shifter was worn out, so I'd often get 3rd gear when I was trying for 1st.

The Corvette had the 5.7 litre base engine, which made 270 hp gross, but only 210 hp SAE net.  These days I drive a Dodge Grand Caravan R/T with a 3.6 litre engine that makes 283 hp and has a 0-60 time less than half a second slower than the Corvette, in spite of weighing more than half a ton more.  And its limited top speed is just a bit faster than that of the Corvette.

If you want to compare very detailed specs and performance on an extremely wide range of cars, check out this site.  It's a big Australian database that lists all the well-known brands, with the different models in different markets, as well as some really obscure brands.  The 1/4-mile times are calculated and may not be too accurate, but most other info there seems to be good.  The site also lets you compare up to 5 cars at once.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/