How to find info of speaker w/o tag?

Maximus89

18 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

So I wouldn't know if it's a knockoff?

Why would they make such critical information on a simple piece of paper held by staples?

The fact that these attained sought after status happened 20 yrs after the fact. They were not making history, they were just making good speakers.

Cool.

Srinath.

• Like 1

Well, I supposed all that matters is I absolutely love them.  I've only had KG 3.2's and KLF-10's(both with tags) before it and these Forte's sound so much bigger and dynamic in comparison.  I just don't know it's my untrained ears listening to good knockoffs b/c I don't know what good sound is.

Unlikely you would get a knock off. I bought Cornwalls that had no tags but you could tell they were the real deal. All Klipsch components inside, original Klipsch crossovers, badges, QC stamps on the back, and sound deadening material. I guess someone could have built boxes and bought all the parts to create a fake but not likely. Take a look inside. Won't hurt anything. I'm. It familiar with how these are put together but removing some screws is all you'd need.

• Like 1

I'll check it out when I can and take some photos. Really hope everything is original.  Wouldn't mind if the two 12's were Crites replacements or something, but nothing else other than original or else..or else I'll be very, very angry with the seller and I will write him a letter telling him how angry I am. :)

I'm really new to this vintage speaker game.  Is it common to ask the seller to provide serials and photo proof of the parts? I've never thought about asking the seller to open up the speaker to show me all the parts are legit.  I wouldn't have known how to verify their legitimacy anyway. Do they have the PWK logo? 

Max,
You really have a burr under your blanket over this and I'm confident you'll find there is nothing to worry about.  There are times to be a Doubting Thomas but I think most of this is in your head.  You seem to rant.

There has never been a report here of a counterfeit Forte.  Klipsch did a very good job of making a wonderful speaker at a good price point.  A copy would probable more expensive to make than a Real McCoy.

The information on SN and finish would have been duplicated on the shipping boxes and probably you don't have those -- or you wouldn't be in such distress.

For your peace of mind you could open them up.  That is not easy because IIRC there back panel does not come off.  All drivers were inserted from the surface of the front and the passive inserted from the surface of the back.  

I'd suggest you only take off the front grill by using a butter knife if you want.  It should be held in place with Velcro.  Be careful.

You  don't have to be an expert to detect changes.  OTOH if you're of a mind that some evil genius made undetectable alterations to swindle you -- we can't help. (Am I too caustic here?)

My guess is that you'll find that everything looks unchanged from the factory.  

Just relax and enjoy one of the best speakers Klipsch ever made.

To answer a question by way of example.  I'm offering for sale a pair of Forte II.  I took the grill off (magnets though) and photographed all the sides to show they are in good condition and factory original.  Yes, they have glued on tags and the nomenclature on the boxes match.

However, if someone demanded that I dissect them to show the interior details, I'd refuse.  That process potentially compromises seals and mounting screws, etc. in the particular design.  Then they might be un-sellable.
WMcD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WMcD said:

WMcD

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you are right. All that matters is that I love the sound.  I absolutely do.  They are in phenomenal condition.  Walnut Oil.  Gorgeous. Placement has been tough, and I continue to experiment with it every week.  I just wish I had the Forte II's for the larger mid horn, but a bit out of my price range right now.  Maybe one day soon I'll find a pair in WO and use them as my mains and move these I's to the center and rear center b/c finding a single Forte seems impossible(can't even find a single Heresy either). Just not into paying 300+ for an Academy center.

I had never bought or sold a pair of speakers missing the tags, so it's really the only reason I was curious as I tested the market and wondered why not a single person contacted me in the past month(assumed it was due to missing tags). I'll probably take them off craigslist now as my worries are all but gone and no one in the area seems interested. 

I do rant though. :)  Thanks again!

I have a pair of Heresy IIs without tags. I know they are HIIs by the design. I pulled one of the woofers out to see what I could find inside. All Klipsch parts, for one. I found some little inspection stickers/tags inside with a date on them, so I know approx. when they were made. They are awesome and I enjoy them every day.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

I just opened up my Fortes to put in the ti Diaphragms in. I had done it before but I took them out to hear stock again and I previously never even bothered to look inside and so I took my flashlight and looked inside the cabinet and I found the tags glued to the inside! 1987! Now to see if they are matching serials but for that I want to look for a stamp on the cabinet. Very happy right now!IMG_1297.thumb.JPG.7f46478eb1a001140d45d8af68db69aa.JPG

Looks like it says k-23.  Still, don't see any stamped serials anywhere though and it doesn't say serial anywhere on the tags which is odd or maybe I just can't see it.   

Oh well, still super stoked! Today was a good day.