Yamaha M-65 parts

JBCODD

Sirs:

I have a Yamaha M-65 amp I wish to place in service after many moons of storage. However I found that the red and black plastic nuts which attach speaker wires to the outputs are missing. I've called Yamaha parts and they no longer have them. Does anyone have a source (or part #) for these?

PS: I will be running some vintage Heresy I's with this, and perhaps some Forte I's if a deal goes through.

Edited by JBCODD

On the back panel there are 12 threaded, cylindrical receptacles, with an ID of 9/16". These accept cylindrical "nuts" which have an axial pass thru for the speaker wires. (Da wires go tru da middle). I could probably drill out some plastic pipe plugs, but for aesthetic reasons, would prefer OEM parts.

IMG_0219.JPG

Someone has already had the same problem.  This is not how the original amp was.  Open the amp up and see what you need to do.  This is not a hard project once you see all the connections. Either way, the task is to redo the speaker connections and you pick what size you want.  That amp is from a golden era and is why they have a great reputation in the audio world.  They are worth restoring and the investment will be well worth it.  Seek help from a local audio shop if needed.

4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Someone has already had the same problem.  This is not how the original amp was.  Open the amp up and see what you need to do.  This is not a hard project once you see all the connections. Either way, the task is to redo the speaker connections and you pick what size you want.  That amp is from a golden era and is why they have a great reputation in the audio world.  They are worth restoring and the investment will be well worth it.  Seek help from a local audio shop if needed.

Derrick:

I am the original owner.  There have been no mods to this amp.  The only difference is that I have lost the parts which screw into the binding posts and secure the speaker wires. While replacing the binding posts may improve the function or ease of use, I would rather take the simpler steps first and obtain the missing pieces. 

I do thank you for your input, though, as Parts Express may see my custom if the search for these pieces is in vain. I did contact http://legendaryamps.com/ to see if they had any on hand. Their website states that they routinely replace these posts and I hope that they can harvest a few of the nuts for me. 

*sigh* Da trouble I have wit "Deez  Nutz" 

JBCODD

the image below shows the binding posts with the red and black securing pieces. The securing pieces are what I need. The binding posts on my amp are functional.

IMG_0220.JPG

Edited by JBCODD
Add and explain photo

USNRET:

How are you. I'm Ret Army. A banana plug might fit in the holes near the base of the post, (see pic above) but this would be sub-optimal as it would make minimal contact with the conductive element.

Thank you for your reply, though, as the link you provided led me to a possible source at legendaryamps.com.

JBCODD

Edited by JBCODD
Clarification

Don't sweat it!  Keep an eye on eBay.  The exact set you need will pop up for sale soon.  I just checked and did not find any at the moment but they DO get listed regularly. Patience... 

edit: alternatively (in the mean time), find the proper size (thread) nut at your local hardware store and use as a stand-in.  With a socket or nut driver you can secure the wire to post.  BOOM - done :)

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Followed a link on an unrelated post to audiokarma.org and noticed they had a dedicated Yamaha section. Found a gent who could supply the parts I needed. Problem solved. Thanks for all the input and help.

JBCODD

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Matthews said:

Matt:

Thanks for your interest. I found a complete set from an enthusiast on Audiokarma for $30.00, delivered. How is the hot rod?

JBCODD 

21 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

I found a complete set from an enthusiast on Audiokarma for $30.00

Wow, sweet score!

22 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

How is the hot rod?

the Hot Rod?  Insanely dangerous.  I LOVE IT !!!  - thanks for asking :)

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1