A tube preamp I really enjoy

bracurrie

Several years ago I struck up a friendship with Justin Weber and almost immediately regretted it. I couldn't get him off the phone. We would talk for an hour about speakers and amps and at the end it was really tough to stop. I did really enjoy it though. So I bought a stereo 15 from him and while it was being made he sent me his Big Ben single ended amp to try. I attached them to my tweeter horns and was impressed with how quiet the amp was. The stereo 15 was just as quiet with more power and to my ear just as pleasing. Well, then Justin mentions he is selling his Yield open baffle speakers which I had been salivating over since Dave's posts in this forum. I bought them. Then I bought a pair of his Casablanca mono blocks which are now my daily drivers for my Yields which I doubt I will ever fall out of love with. The Sound stage is stunning. 
Well, I had discovered 15ips 2 track jazz tapes on eprey and now needed a preamp. Went through several including an Audio Research SP6 I had for sale that hadn't yet been sold but really found nothing quiet enough for my taste that wasn't a little harsh or lacking to my ear (its not golden but I know what I like). I had avoided Justin contact for like a year but my Casablancas developed a bias current problem so I risked continued exposure to the amp maestro to get a fix. Problem easily solved, but again spending an hour on a customer service follow up with Justin stuck in California traffic led to another ampsandsound development that could address my need for a pleasing preamp. 
Justin had taken his Kenzie headphone amp based on the Darling circuit (whatever that is?) put some unbalanced outputs on it and did some other stuff I dont understand and the next thing I know I have traded away a speaker set for Justin's ampsandsound new preamp.

Well it arrived several days ago and I have now had several hours of listening time with it. IMHO its terrific in several ways. first its dead quiet and that is a pet peave of mine. (I know it makes little sense to say that when I tolerate tape hiss). My tech bench tested it and said it sounded bright. Well yes I agree to a point but its softer while being brighter. Bass is tight and did I say it was quiet already. I have a large collection of decent digital content that before having a tape machine was my usual source and I drove the Casablancas directly from my sound card with generally pleasing results. With the pre in the chain the digital content is MUCH more pleasing to the ear while showcasing dynamics of loudness and range with no digital harshness. I have only mounted two fairly old jazz recordings from the sixties on the tape deck but they sounded great.

Way to go Justin!!  I'll get the speaks out soon.

11 hours ago, bracurrie said:

Justin had taken his Kenzie headphone amp based on the Darling circuit (whatever that is?) put some unbalanced outputs on it and did some other stuff I dont understand and the next thing I know I have traded away a speaker set for Justin's ampsandsound new preamp.

I hope to hear some of Justin's work one day.

For clarification, your statement above.......  are your referencing "Kenzie headphone amp" and "Justin's ampsandsound new preamp" as the same?

16 hours ago, jwc said:

For clarification, your statement above.......  are your referencing "Kenzie headphone amp" and "Justin's ampsandsound new preamp" as the same?

I believe that to be true. He added the outputs and did some other things and turned it into a preamp.

It started as a Kenzie. A few customers were using 1/4" to rca adapters with good results. The goal was the SE sonic sig and pair with P-P power for more realistic dynamic range :-).

I had head a lot of request for making the 1/4" jacks up front and wanted to do a few other improvements... larger choke most notable. 

The Kenzie encore was born. Using 32ohm tap and padding down to allow enough Dial seemed to do the trick.

The part of the story I enjoy the most is that the Daves Yields have never really left Brads use... They were my primary speaker for a lot of years and not have been his, and replaced a very respected speaker.

Soon enough Ill have my own set of Jubs and will tap Al for crossovers. 

7 hours ago, justinsweber said:

Kenzie encore

I'm overdue to call you as my previous intent to call you back several weekends ago failed on my part.  Very sorry.

So will you be listing this "modified version" on your website as a separate item for sale?  Pictures would help from the OP.....would love to see it.

So moved 1/4 jack up front and RCA outputs available?