La Scala Splits-LA area

babadono

• 2 weeks later...

These are close to my house & I've been wanting to get La Scala's but what does "WAF" mean? That has to do with looks, right? Is there anything I need to check for when I go look at them?  Thank You!   Bill

Edited by 32blownhemi

4 hours ago, 32blownhemi said:

Is there anything I need to check for when I go look at them?

In my opinion, the main thing to look at (to decide if you want to buy them or not) is the condition of the cabinets.  If they are trashed....  I have no interest.  I don't mind as much if they have a blown woofer as that can be easily fixed and, that is part of the price conversation, once I know I want the cabinets.

• Like 2

The speakers in the CL ad certainly don't looked trashed, and in the description, the owner says "restored".    Of course, 'restored" means different things to different people.  Ask them if any components have been replaced, any crossover work.  Look at all sides of each cabinet, especially the bottoms for any signs of water damage.  Make sure all of the drivers are working.  Take a cotton sock, stuff it in each tweeter while they are playing, and you should hear a definite difference when you place it in the horn.  If possible play them fairly loud to check for any evidence of distortion.

Good luck, I hope you get them.  I love mine.

• Like 1

Thank You Coytee, jimjimbo, cincymat & MookieStl. I'll call them tomorrow & ask those questions. I'll report back here on what they meant by 'restored' & any 'work done'. As everyone probably figured I have no idea what I'm doing...  Thanks again!   Bill

• Like 1

On 3/7/2017 at 2:32 AM, Wirrunna said:

WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor.

My version is Wife Approval Factor, same thing.

The algorithm is there is a direct negative correlation between the size of the speaker and the approval of the wife to tolerate said speaker in the living room.

There are exceptions, depending on the woman who chooses you.  Your mileage may vary.  B)

+++

Glad you got 'em.  A lot of people like the sound more than the home version, I think they have a little more "punch."  I like the aluminum trim personally, I like the industrial look.

NO WAY would my wife ever allow them in the living room! 

• Like 1