This is me...

HDBRbuilder

This is me about 7 months before I went to work at Klipsch in July 1976...about to make a few jumps from converted WWII barrage balloons in Brit Jump School in LATE December 1975, right after leading an Airborne rifle squad in continual freezing rain for three and a half weeks on the Salisbury Plains...my feet never really recovered from that freezing rain/SEVERE immersion foot fiasco.  My feet were in excruciating pain when this pic was taken, but REAL PARATROOPERS just NEVER miss a chance for a balloon jump! :

DEC 1975 Brit baloon jumper.JPG

This is me (Second from left) after working at Klipsch for a year or so...with a group from the Hope area,  down in Shreveport, LA getting pre-partied-up prior to going to a WiIlie Nelson/Leon Russell concert at Hirsch Memorial Colosseum:

Fixin to see Willie at Shreveport.jpg

And this is me with the hat on...at Rodney's Place during the Klipsch Gathering year before last (I built that Cornwall back when I worked at Klipsch):

Audio Dad & Me with a speaker I built in late 1970s.jpg

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, richieb said:

So what are the chances you had a hand in building my new '78 LaScalas?

Slight...I built enough LaScalas to know how to build them and learn the tricks involved...same for K-horns...but spent MOST of my time building Heresy and Cornwall speakers, simply because those were a full-time job (with lots of overtime hours!) in themselves.  I also built a number of MCM 1900 systems...all the cabinets for the four-way system:  MWM, MSM, MSSM, MTM....and I did lots of "parts time" for all the speakers, including Belles...sawing the parts, routing those which needed routing, building up sub-assemblies, etc.  You would not believe how important good tactile senses in the hands are when building that stuff!

In 1978, your best bet on who built your LaScalas would be Jay Barrentine, or Bobby Garcia.  BUT it might also have been Ronnie Barhams or Charles Horn...maybe even Robert Wyatt ("Bois'd'Arc")...because sometimes they needed an extra builder catch-up on order backlogs at that time....and those last three were "roamers" who did that a lot!

Schu...Canadian??  I spent some time in Canada here and there over the years...on bike trips and for the military (London Ontario, and Quebec City)...intend to spend more time there again in a couple of years after finally REALLY retiring.  Some really fantastic places there I WANT TO SEE, and some I want to see AGAIN!  Spent almost a week crashing at "the Citadel" in Quebec city when briefing the Royal Canadian 22nd Infantry bunch there on planned missions...and in London Ontario with the 1RCR (now defunct) Canadian Paratroopers...briefing them up on planned missions.  Canuck party animals...gotta love 'em!

In 2005 I met Michael Colter at a truck stop in Fort Wayne to buy the La Scalas I refurbished for the local high school.

The other picture is circa 1994 with my older son and the car in my avatar.  The boy in the photo is now 33 and has served in Afghanistan.  The man in the photo is now 68.

The third photo is circa 1969 when we loaded Stroh's and PBR into the fraternity house Coke machine.  That's yours truly hoisting the first bottle.

Neil's Tower of Power (Medium).JPG

Scott and Rotus.jpg

DTD_Coke_machine~1969.JPG

• Like 6

Thank you guys for your service, that can never be said enough. 

My uncle was Airborne back in WWll. He had 50-60 jumps all over Europe. I didn't know the story until his funeral a few years ago, just knew he was in the military. I saw his Airborne patch and asked my Aunt about it. I mentioned to her that I didn't know Pete was a war hero, she said he would say he wasn't a hero, he just did all those dangerous jumps because they paid extra. I miss him.

I'll try to dig up a pic.

• Like 2