Klipschorn Pair - Fayetteville NC area - $1800

Wolfpack02

Alright I took these off Craigslist for a couple of weeks.  Spent some time today cleaning them up.  I used an Old English Dark Wood cleaner and man they cleaned up nicely.  I took some new pictures and set them up for listening.  I'm sitting here now listening to them and man are these things awesome!  I still don't have the space for them but I can see why they draw big money.  I will post a new Craigslist ad and put a link on here, thanks again for all the help.

1 hour ago, Wolfpack02 said:

Any thoughts or changes I should make please let me know, thanks.

https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/ele/6058135008.html

Taken from your ad:  A couple of small spots near the base seem to be the only damage

Since you mentioned a couple of spots, you could ad them to the advert or could say other pics available to interested buyers. This could come up during the sale. Overall, looks pretty good to me at least. Hope it makes sense. Not really a nit-pick in my view but could be. If you are firm on your price, you might say so. Or, if more flexible in price, you might include OBO or best offer or, taking offers. Hope this helps and good fortune on your Klipsch which look pretty nice to me. So for me, not much if anything really to criticize...By the way, thinking you know we have a garage sale section here on the forum...

Others may have other ideas or take...

• Like 1

I agree with billybob completely , I would either put firm on your price or raise it a couple hundred since everyone (including myself if I was closer)will be offering less on craigslist. I would probably just put firm and eliminate most of the senseless Emails although even if you put firm you will still get lowball offers , just not as many .

I didn't mean I would take less for those but a nonforum member on craigslist , I would definitely try to get a better deal . 

On the forum I would just pay the price, ignore the ad, or at the most  pm with a very fair offer if I thought the price was a little high :D

• Like 2

Another thing could do is if still hooked up in your room may want to say prospective buyers are welcome to audition speakers. Most people will want to hear speakers in that range to test drivers working before purchase whether or not they are familiar with brand/model. Even bringing their own cd/player/amp over to hear.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Update: I fired them back up and had some distortion in the sound on one of them. The bass and lows were coming through fine but the singing sounded muffled. I did some troubleshooting that I found online and connected the speaker wire directly to the K55's. The singing came back through like normal from there. I imagine this is some sort of crossover issue. 

1 hour ago, Wolfpack02 said:

Update: I fired them back up and had some distortion in the sound on one of them. The bass and lows were coming through fine but the singing sounded muffled. I did some troubleshooting that I found online and connected the speaker wire directly to the K55's. The singing came back through like normal from there. I imagine this is some sort of crossover issue. 

I would caution you not to do that anymore.  Connecting an amplifier directly to the K55's can damage them very easily.

• Like 1

You may want to pull out the old crossovers and look for some used ones online to as to make the speakers sound correctly.   You also might want to contact Bob Crites to see if he could test and possibly rebuild the old crossovers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edzu1234 said:

You may want to pull out the old crossovers and look for some used ones online to as to make the speakers sound correctly.   You also might want to contact Bob Crites to see if he could test and possibly rebuild the old crossovers.

That is the crux of the problem; does he fix the problem and ask top dollar, or does he sell "as is" and reduce the price a hundred bucks or so?

Many experienced Buyers want to go their own way with XO's so the non-working XO is not a deal breaker.  There are other potential Buyers who want plug 'n play with fully working speakers.  It's a 50/50 choice for the Seller IMO, personal preference.

Mr. Wolfpack went the Full Disclosure route and chose to allow the Buyer to make his own decision.  I think his openness and honestly will help him with a quick sale.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wolfpack02 said:

Sold, pending pickup.

I was about to push @EMRR over the edge to buy them since he had already 99% convinced himself, but it's already not needed/too late, depending on who picked those up.

I'm guessing it was someone who knew what they were getting, a nice pair of Khorns at a reduced price and they can go their own with with an update/upgrade.

I suggest upgrade.  B)

• Like 1

These beasts just pulled out on their way to their new home.  It's pretty bittersweet, I feel like I'll be searching for a set in a few years when I finally get a man cave.  Thanks for all the help on the forum, especially wvu80!  I'll see you guys soon.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here are @Wolfpack02's horns in their new home. Having so much glass next to the Khorns isn't ideal but they still sound great. Plus we have a nice view while listening.

First step when they arrived was to add pipe insulation to the edges of the bass horn (recommended by @codewritinfool).

Horns don't fit the room? No problem - hack the room. Luckily, my better half hasn't noticed this. (But she really enjoys the horns so she'd probably be cool with it.)

Another of codewritinfool's suggestions was ALK's "Super AA" mod for the Type AA crossovers in these horns. So I ordered parts & modified the crossovers. It's not the world's prettiest layout but it works fine.

The change in sound was small but noticeable: mellower midrange and better bass. Maybe it was mostly the new caps, but it was worth the time and the $70 for parts.

2017-04-11-19-36-small.jpg

2017-04-09-10-31-25-small.jpg

2017-04-30-19-32-small.jpg

2017-04-30-19-11-small.jpg

Edited by Hornographic
  • Like 3

Hey everyone Rick from rbl,Anyone need new replacement grills for the corns,heresys,la scalas,or the k-horns? WELL I build and sell them. In black#7,or in cane. With or without (jubilee) emblems. Anyways on this topic,I also have a pair of beautiful k-horns 1995 Ak-3 all original,except brand new 3/4 exact factory spec grills,4 side panels/2 tops. Black#7 woofers are new eminence 15-c's which imho blow the crites/k-33/k-43,and anything I've put them against. Crites c-120/aka de-120 b&k tweeters,I'm just getting ready to veneer them (only use highest quality veneers,cherry/walnut/red oak/teak. They are originally "oak oil." I can do them in pretty much the exact original veneer,but I would like to trade these even when completed,which btw will be done better than new. (For either a mint pair of jbl 4333A/B,or Summet 300. I would consider trading as is 80%done even give new owner enough veneer to complete them them selves (jbl studio masters) I'm very good,I have learned from one if the best,I will not say his name G.R. from V.Audio..lol. I have a few choice words about that guy,but I'm a gentleman. I do not make my money taking other people's designs,I'm just a guy who offers great klipsch replacement grills,fabric,and does really goid veneer work. My prices are pretty responsible. Rblcustomcreations8412@gmail.com. Tbanks

8 hours ago, Hornographic said:

Here are Wolfpack02's horns in their new home. Having so much glass next to the Khorns isn't ideal but they sound great. (Plus we have a nice view while listening.)

2017-04-11-19-36-small.jpg

That is an awesome view. Wouldn't even have to read a book while listening. You could just watch the world go by. The best thing to do in my opinion.