Stay with Forte or go to RP-280F

dewolfe

My amp died and had to be replaced. Which got me thinking about my main speakers, Forte which I bought in 1985.

The Fortes still sound good, and the bass is supplemented with an RT-12d.

Started looking at the RP-280Fs.

So would the 280s be an upgrade, down grade, or lateral move for my system.

System: amp yamaha  3060, forte mains, rp-250c center, RT-12d sub, b&w surrounds.

Usage 80% HT, 20 music.

What do you think?

You probably already know the answer to your question(s) as you've stated that your like the current sound.

Seeking justification for a purchase could be garnered from any received comments, just as much so as standing pat with the current set up.

Scratch the itch if you must, but I suggest you hang on to them 3 way Forte's - just in case.  ;)

Welcome to the Forum.

• Like 1

For stereo listening, I say keep the Fortes. I haven't heard them, but I have a pair of RP-280Fs and a late 80s pair of Heresies in the same room. The RP-280Fs are good, and they're the ones I had first, but I've stopped using them completely since getting the Heresies. To my ear they're more musical and more dynamic than the Reference Premiere, so Fortes should be even better.

I think the new ones also sound brighter than the old ones, they seem to be missing some mids when you compare them directly. The presentation is very different between each speaker, they're hard to compare because some elements (music) that are in the background on the RP-280Fs are in the foreground on the Heresies. 

I see that you use mostly for home theater. The closest I get with mine would be for video games, but I prefer how the older speakers sound there too. The RP-280F's greater treble extension has a little more air to atmospheric effects, but the Heresies make me feel like I'm there. Plus, when I upgraded to an Emotiva amp, it seemed to uncover a lot of treble extension that I didn't know they had. 

Of course, if you're itching for an upgrade, the new Forte III is supposed to be out later this year. I know that's the upgrade I'd like to make.

Where are you located....you could always sell ME your Forte's and buy the RP208F's...that way I would have another pair of Forte's

Or just KEEP the Forte's...Did you ever think of the Forte's as a back up pair....I have.

Ya never know......:D

George,

Thanks for the information.

I was mostly wondering if there had been and new innovations, that made the new Klipsch versions better than the old ones. From these replies, it seem that the old ones are still going strong. I will probably wait to seen what happens with the Forte III, or maybe the R7 III.