Klipsch klf 30 and 20s

Greekguy

KLF20/30 are probably not the speakers that should be on the top of your to buy list if you don't want to do any service, as they had adhesive defects from the factory on a large number produced. Note there are some which are just fine but there are some which are not. You need to look for units which are sound (baffles front and rear or units which have been properly repaired. So far as I can tell most so called repairs are patches. I would not personally purchase a "repaired" set unless I discussed the job with the person who did it. I fully rebuilt mine (two sets) removing both baffles and all the adhesive and all the melamine from the baffles at the point of the adhesive bond line. My two sets are way stronger than a good new set ever were. As I said most  fixes I have seen are patch jobs not a rebuild which as far as I am concerned is the only real repair. 

Many KLF20/30 owners who have or had defective units were not really aware of the problem. Some patched units very well may be up to the task of holding the baffles secure and that is good for those owners, however if you want to do a full repair then a patched speaker is just a make work project as all the patch and then the original bonding job must be removed to properly repair the speaker.

A CF3 or CF4 would be a safer bet for a very similar woofer system with a more sturdy cabinet. Some other options would be a Chorus ll or a Cornwall ll depending upon your electronics. Good luck on your hunt. The KLF20/30 are great speakers and even a pair with loose baffles are well worth the effort. moray james.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feed back.. I own a set of klf 20s since 1996 and no issues I'm aware of, but you made a Very good point on the issues for the KLFs. I had my heart set  on the klfs but Maybe I should consider a newer model speaker.. I wanted Klfs but it Seems like people want top dollar on old stuff that's not perfect or I keep thinking I could be buying someone else's problems..  

What do you think about the Klipsch RP-280FA Reference Premiere Dolby Atmos Enabled Floorstanding Speaker would these be maybe a better speaker than the KLF 30/20s for movies and music? I'm sure I'm not comparing it right. I know the klfs are a 3 way and the newer stuff is a 2 way.. 

I'm Sure it's a different sound.. than the klfs..

Edited by Greekguy

Greekguy,

Are you still looking for a set of KLF 30's? Also, where are you located? I have a set that are used regularly and have been performing very well for years. No repairs have been made to the cabinets, but there have been some upgrades with Bob Crites equipment. I really don't have the room in my small home for these big guys since I moved last year.

-