Fair price range for pair of Forte

adam2434

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The original forte's seem to sell for a little lower, I'd say $350-$450 for the condition you describe. The forte II seem to command a bit more, $450-$550? Of course condition and location play major factors in price.

Sound like jjptkd wants to buy them......I still say $400.00 to 500.00

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

The original forte's seem to sell for a little lower, I'd say $350-$450 for the condition you describe. The forte II seem to command a bit more, $450-$550? Of course condition and location play major factors in price.

Is that right? I've been seeing Forte's for 500+ and Forte II's for 700+ and Chorus II for 1k+ and yet I always read about all these great deals through internet searches and these forums.   I feel like if I made an offer of $550 for the Forte II, they won't even bother responding due to low ball as they list 700-800 range.  I guess only one way to find out.  I'll make the low range offer first of $450, then go up to $550 max.

Let's be realistic here, one person's excellent is another person's good, etc, etc, etc.  Sure, cosmetic condition is one part of the equation, but so is functional condition, updates, location, willingness to meet.  If you can physically see and hear the unit, then great, if not, well, you need to trust the seller, see lots of photos, and generally feel very comfortable before you send off a bunch of money.  Making a "fair" offer is dependent on the above, plus "reading" the situation and the seller.

I picked up the pair of Forte's this evening.  They are in good working order.  Paid $425, but the guy included some 80's electronics (which I have no use for) - an Onkyo Pro Logic receiver, Sony CD changer, and Sony tape deck.  Maybe I can get around $40-50 for the electronics, which would make the investment around $380.

They guy was obviously stand-up and said that 2 other guys were interested, so I jumped on them.  He listed them yesterday.

They are black and have some scratches and nicks - nothing major.  Grills are nice and there are no dents in the woofer and PR dust caps.

So, I'm wondering if folks have recos for touching up the scratches.  I know a sharpie will do ok, but wondering if there is a better option.  I'll see if a hardware store has a black stain stick, or something of the like.

I'll test these in the unfinished portion of our basement, where I am currently running JBL LS80's, which retailed for $3000/pair in 2008, but sold for $1000/pair recently on Amazon, which is when I snagged a pair.

Curious about how folks feel about the Forte's vs. RF-7 II (which I also own).  In today's dollars, Forte's would be around $2,400/pair, so significantly less than RF-7 II retail price.

Congrats on the purchase! I love my Forte's(might get another pair soon since I can't find a decently priced Forte II or Chorus II in WO to match my WO Fortes).  At first, it took me some time, though.  I experimented with corner placement but ultimately ended up with facing directly forward 1.5' from the rear and side walls via this review recommendation http://www.soundstage.com/greg01.htm...distance between the speakers being the same distance from my seat.  The Crites Titanium diaphragm upgrade is a must IMO. I left the mid horn diaphragm stock, though.

Got the Forte's set up this morning.  Color me impressed so far!  They make me want to push the volume because they sound so clean and balanced.

They are in a "bad" room - the large, unfinished portion of our basement where we have exercise equipment, storage, etc.

They are on 31" platforms that I built when I got the JBL's mentioned above.  The platforms put the JBL tweeters at ear level when I'm standing.  The Forte's tweeters are about 8" below my ears when standing.  I may add around 8" to the platforms if the Forte's end up displacing the JBL's.

I'm late to the party.  According to my numbers:

Avg price for Forte is $480.  High $650 low $350.

Forte II avg price is $525.  High $650, low $350.

+++

21 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

What's a fair offer for a good condition Chorus II?

I have $535 for the C2.  Low $350, high $577. 

I only had two samples for Chorus I so the average sell price of $650 is not reliable.  High $800, low $500.

• Like 1