FS HH Scott 222C

Sky Hits

Let's talk: I've owned this Scott 222C for a few years, purchased from a forum member. 

I started having some performance issues with it this past year and took it to a local audio shop for repairs. After two lengthy repair attempts, the last including replacement of one of the tubes, the problems persist. 

I had a nice conversation with Craig NOSvalves yesterday about what he can do to restore it, but I have another receiver I am happy with and don't really have the budget now for a restoration. 

I am interested in selling but not quite sure what to ask since this is a project. 

Interested in hearing offers from potential buyers and certainly advice too. Thanks!

IMG_4672.JPG

• Like 1

You might want to detail what the specific performance issues were, what Craig said about this unit, and if he gave you a restoration cost estimate.  You may also what to include better photos of the front face from left and right, and it looks like the knobs on the front are missing caps?  Not sure, hard to tell.  Not trying to be critical, just trying to get a sense of what's involved with this unit.

On 2/25/2017 at 11:55 AM, jimjimbo said:

You might want to detail what the specific performance issues were, what Craig said about this unit, and if he gave you a restoration cost estimate.  You may also what to include better photos of the front face from left and right, and it looks like the knobs on the front are missing caps?  Not sure, hard to tell.  Not trying to be critical, just trying to get a sense of what's involved with this unit.

Thank you for your response. There are no parts missing from the face plate. Hard to see maybe, but there are brown caps in each of the metal knobs. 

The problem has been intermittent signal from the left channel and noise from the phono stage. 

Craig gave me an estimate of $475 maximum for a full restoration, not including shipping or any tubes. Considering the tubes were recently tested I doubt new tubes would be needed. 

IMG_4683.JPG

The 222C is a fine unit from Scott, and is a really nice addition to a vintage setup.  A photo of the right hand side of the faceplate would be helpful also.  As I'm sure Craig told you, the overall cosmetics of vintage units like this is very important, and is a major determining factor in resale and collectability.  The tube complement is important also, so you may want to detail all of the tubes by brand/type.

My plan is to try a different repair shop locally and see if I can get it fully operational again. It sounds great when it's working correctly. 

I may send it to Craig in the future for a full restoration. It seems better to hold on to it than sell it when it's down and out!