KG4 testing and repair

CTRO

Hello,

I have an old ~1990 pair of KG4's that are just not sounding very good (after many years of great sounds).  When I switch from left to right channel, I can definitely notice that one of them is not producing all of the tones.  I am wondering (1) how do I go about testing the speaker's different components? (2) if various things need to be replaced, should I do this myself, find a speaker store, or suck it up and buy new speakers?  I don't know much about speakers (in case you can't tell), so I'm looking for some advice that will help me proceed.  I also searched around this site and see that the speakers seem to hold their value.  I've gone through a bunch of "how do I test my speakers" links online, but thought that folks here might have some good ideas.  Thanks!

Put your ear up to the tweeter and make sure sound is coming out. Make sure both woofers are producing sound evenly. If they are, then your crossovers need to be rebuilt. Basically you need to replace your capacitors. This happens with age, very common. If you don't know someone who can do it, look up Bob Crites at www.critesspeakers.com and he can take care of you. Shoot him an email or call him. He is very good.

Good question.

Most people don't have access to a function (tone) generator, but all I imagine you'd need is that and an A.C. voltmeter.

You would generate various tones into one of your stereo's inputs such as CD or tuner, and measure the voltage at each speaker driver. You could compare left vs. right and if they're within 5%, I'd say you're okay.

You could also measure the D.C. resistance of each speaker driver and again compare left to right. A serious discrepancy between the two would indicate something's wrong.

Beyond that, I guess you'd have to send the speakers out for service.

dtr20 (Integra?) has the best answer.  I'll add that when listening to the individual drivers, note any unusual noises like buzzing, scraping or clipping (saw sounding tones like the guitar in "Running With The Devil").  The odd sounding speaker is the suspect one, but check both.  Before opening the cabinets, swap the speakers or wires from left to right to eliminate the possibility of an issue with your electronics. 

I bet on capacitors.  They are the yellow and blue cylinders in the pic. 

s-l1600.jpg