Wisdom/advice/opinions requested

Mr._Music_Fan

Hey gang, I wanted to solicit feedback/advice/wisdom/opinions regarding a crossroads I am at regarding speakers. 

Current situation: 

Forte II with new titanium tweeter diaphragms, new Crites crossovers, new passive radiators. 

Opportunity:

88 LaScalas with AL crossovers, 401 composite horn, beautiful polyurethane/clear coat over the birch, minor nicks. Price 950. 

Question: 

Should I keep my Forte II since they are in excellent shape? Should I sell them to help fund the LaScalas? If I get the LaScalas, what should I do with the AL crossovers? Are the AL crossovers worth anything? 

Thank you all in advance. 

-Alex

folded horn LF section and the larger sqwauker lense is worth the price of admission in my humble O. If you dont need to sell the fortes or just want to keep them, keep them for the rear channels of a 5.1 set up after you get the La Scalas.

As far as the networks, if you get the speakers just listen to them form a while before you do anything. Someone may want your AL's for a dyi project if you do upgrade, but you wont that much for them. You  could also just recap them

950$ is a very  deal for good condition la scalas

How big is your listening room?

• Like 1

You can have a lot of fun with the La Scalas. I had Chorus II, Forte II and Heresy. I still have Klipschorn and Cornwall. I've always loved the way the La Scalas sound. I know I'm in the minority here but I never adjusted to the Forte II and after buying them new, I sold them within months. Many don't like the La Scala tonal balance citing the lack of bass response. I listen to a lot of live large ensemble jazz and think the large Klipsch heritage  speakers do a good job of recreating the live experience in the home. Some say they are too bright or too in you're face. Live cymbals and trumpets are in your face. My opinion only. I would snap those Scalas up and do what the other guy said, live with them as is for a while.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Buy the Scalas, keep the Forte's for now

Get rid of the a L networks and find a nice used pair of a a networks and put new caps in them.

Exactly what Jim just said. The Forte II are very nice. The La Scalas are in a different league. 

• Like 2

LaScalas any day! Fully horn loaded speakers are in a different league. Yes, the mids can be brought down to get a better tonal balance (mids not so in your face and bass will seem better).

An 11x15 room will work. Take some cardboard and make some 2x2 ft. squares to see what floor space you will lose.

Bruce

• Like 1

I agree with the recommendations to get the La Scalas and keep the Fortes, at least for some time.  After listening to them as they are, I would consider getting a pair of new AA networks from Bob Crites.   You could always sell either pair, if wanted or needed.

• Like 1