Diy lascalas using 18inch woofer

carolinacat

Not being an expert (at all mind you!), I wonder if you are defeating some purposes there unless you make the speaker larger.

In other words, if you fit an 18" into a stock sized LaScala, I wonder if the horn is then too small to get any benefit from going to the 18"

??

4 hours ago, Coytee said:

Not being an expert (at all mind you!), I wonder if you are defeating some purposes there unless you make the speaker larger.

In other words, if you fit an 18" into a stock sized LaScala, I wonder if the horn is then too small to get any benefit from going to the 18"

??

The horn should be larger and longer otherwise you are probably not gaining (and likely loosing) using a good quality 18" in a well tuned box.

One thing would lead to another and you would ultimately end up needing to do a serious re-design of the system.

That is not for the faint of heart. 

I assume you are disappointed with the low end response of the La Scala. If that is the case, I would simply invest in a couple of modestly priced sub-woofers and take your time in integrating them into your system

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

One thing would lead to another and you would ultimately end to need a serious re-design of the system.

That is not for the faint of heart. 

I assume you are disappointed with the low end response of the La Scala. If that is the case, I would simply invest in a couple of modestly priced sub-woofers and take your time in integrating them into your system

A nice horn sub is easy to build and not very expensive. This will get the bass where you want it and sound amazing. If space is an issue a long style horn sub pointed at the ceiling will work well.

Yall miss understood.  Or i didn't word it well enough.  There was a set of plans out there that used an 18inch woofer. I found the old topic but the link to the drawings is disabled.   I understand it does not fit into the stock doghouse. It may have been taller deeper etc.    Id like to make mid bass horn using an 18.  I'm planning on a 2way build using Iwata 300 horn with Tad 4001 drivers.  

3 hours ago, No.4 said:

An 18" driver will not fit inside the doghouse of a stock La scala. You would have to redesign.

That's what the OP was asking for, some plans for a build.

I did a cursory Forum Search on a few key terms, but got zero results.  It doesn't mean that discussion thread doesn't exist, it just means I couldn't find it.

I found it last night and for the last 20 mins I can't find the topic now.  I also stumbled onto a thead where the doghouse was measured ported and different ways.  It really didn't help that much.  The conclusion was that actually reducing the internal volume by 1/3 helped more that porting.  I still have the link to that post if anyone would like to read thru 13 pages of info.  

3 hours ago, carolinacat said:

I found it last night and for the last 20 mins I can't find the topic now.  I also stumbled onto a thead where the doghouse was measured ported and different ways.  It really didn't help that much.  The conclusion was that actually reducing the internal volume by 1/3 helped more that porting.  I still have the link to that post if anyone would like to read thru 13 pages of info.  

Check your browser history. You should be able to see the thread there, unless your browser automatically deletes you browser history when exiting.

An 18 is large enough that it would seem to be a waste in a smaller horn.  A ported cabinet of about the same size would offset the bass response loss of efficiency based on that graph.  Unless you are after midbass but again, an 18" for that in a horn would be something you would use in a very large room with assistance down low.  My thoughts at least.