Audiophila, what got you started?

ACV92

Had a nice sounding pair of KG 3.5's  and then made the mistake of buying this cd:

To my mind her best work, but I couldn't get it to sound right.  Figured it must be my system cause you know she was famous, rich and could get the best NYC pros to make the cd. Now, please realize that I'm not her biggest fan but I think she has an incredible voice on this album and wanted it to sound right.

Well, hundreds, nay thousands (?) of dollars, endless changes and frustration later, I finally figured out that the engineers should have been taken out and shot .

Course, in trying to  fix this, I found the Forum, heard this and that, spent a little time and..

• 1 month later...

My dad got me hooked at young age, just as he did with cars.

He's always been into music, but it was his first really good system that I think is responsible for my appreciation for great sound and loud music. In the early 90's, he had a pair of Snell Type D towers (still his front speakers today) running through a Nakamichi Receiver 2 and a Bryston 3B-ST amp. He had a pretty serious CD collection then (he got into CDs soon after they appeared), and I used to come home from grade school to listen to The Doors, The Beatles, The Who, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimi Hendrix, Dire Straits, etc. He just sold his Bryston the other day after upgrading to his first McIntosh.

Without that system, I'm not sure my brother and I would have the appreciation for music that we do today. We like hand-me-downs, so when he eventually upgraded his receiver, I got the Nakamichi and paired it with his old Beogram 1700 turntable (which I still have) and an old Boston Acoustics 2.1 system. When he would upgrade, we would often get the old stuff, so when I got a newer receiver from him, an Onkyo TX-SR605, I gave the Nakamichi to my brother, who still uses it with a set of KG3.5s. I later got into Klipsch after buying a set of Image S4 ear buds, which lead me to an HD Theater 5.1 system, and eventually a set of Synergy F-20 towers. This was my first decent set of speakers, and they got me fully hooked on Klipsch. I had them for a little over three years before upgrading to a set of RF-5s last week.

I have someone from Craigslist coming to look at the F-20s today. I'll be sad to see them go.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:42 PM, ACV92 said:

So, I've been in a couple of other threads and they exposed where I got the quest for accurate sound reproduction.  What did it for you?  Take a trip down memory lane and tell me where it all began.  Thanks. 

Loved music and started buying 45's, LP's, and then 8 tracks since 6th grade. Use to take the bus downtown to ABC Music store and spend hours looking over the music selection while looking at the change in my pocket and weighing my options..... by the time I got to highschool (76), an older cousin opened Laredo's first true HiFi stereo store, "Audio Systems", and man-o-man did I go gaga. His store was truly drool worthy. The best of the best components, tube and solid state. First time I ever heard Klipsch, JBL, Polk, EV, McIntosh, Marantz, Luxman, Nakamichi.... first time I ever saw an MFSL LP, and he carried a good selection. 

I had no idea music systems could sound that good, so loud, so pure, yet free of all hints of distortion. At home, all I had was my Realistic system from Garbage Shack, and it never sounded the same after that...... Unfortunately, being a cousin only got me a 10% discount, and working a load dock for a local produce supplier didn't pay enough to buy Jack or Shyt........ about a decade or two later, I finally started putting my system(s) together..... and I lived happily ever after. 

• Like 1

What got me started was taking a junk AM radio, hooking it up to my 3-wheeler, and putting a single junk 6x9 speaker in a box I made out of plywood and nails, and strapping it to the rack with bungee cords. :)  Pretty sure I was 8, around 1984.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

What got me started was taking a junk AM radio, hooking it up to my 3-wheeler, and putting a single junk 6x9 speaker in a box I made out of plywood and nails, and strapping it to the rack with bungee cords. :)  Pretty sure I was 8, around 1984.  

You and I are close in age then.  I'm a few years ahead of you.  I was in CA on about 10 acres and we had a couple of Honda 90's.  Folks wouldn't ever let me ride them, too dangerous.  Which does bring back a time when my Dad and I were riding up a hill on one and he kept telling me to lean forward.  Next thing I know, my Dad and the 3 wheeler are on top of me.  Thankfully, I was a portly little guy and had enough cushion to absorb the impact.  No harm done...

I'll bet that 6 x 9 custom enclosure sounded pretty good back then.  Until you realized it could sound better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ACV92 said:

You and I are close in age then.  I'm a few years ahead of you.  I was in CA on about 10 acres and we had a couple of Honda 90's.  Folks wouldn't ever let me ride them, too dangerous.  Which does bring back a time when my Dad and I were riding up a hill on one and he kept telling me to lean forward.  Next thing I know, my Dad and the 3 wheeler are on top of me.

Yeah I grew up with a 2,400 acre back yard so riding was the vast majority of my childhood.  We used to have an Alaskan Malamute which loved to pull you everywhere.  I'd walk him and it was all I could do to hold him back.  Eventually I just took a rope and tied it to my 3-wheeler's handlebars, and he would literally pull me on the 3-wheeler like it was a sled.  Worked out great until one day I was going down a hill which had a steep incline to my side, and some deer jumped out in front of us.  He took off down the incline after the deer, pulling the 3-wheeler with it sideways over the incline.  Flipped over a time and a half and the 3-wheeler landed on top of me, could have been bad.