Advice on pairing a external amp with the Yamaha RX-A3060

djfalstaff

90% of time I feel my RX-A3060 is a fine performer on daily tasks. Unfortunately, the other 10% of the time when I want some more extreme forms of music at volume much louder volume, I feel like it's missing the magic was contained in first Yamaha from the 90s. It's really hard to quantify without using flowery and poetic language. My current setup is as follows.

Yamaha RX-A3060 2 Klipsch RF-7 II 1 Klipsch RC-64 II 2 Klipsch RP-250S 2 SVS PC-2000

It looks like the Emotiva XPA Gen3 might be a good match but it only has one professional review that I could find. I've also looked at the Anthem A2 even though it costs more.

Does anyone here already have one of these amps paired with the RX-A3060? Are there any others that should be at the top of my list?

Djfalstaff,

Welcome to the forum.

You have a very nice AVR with some incredible speakers.  With that said, I(my opinion) think the RF-7II's "deserve" some high quality amplification that most AVRs can't provide.

7 minutes ago, djfalstaff said:

I've also looked at the Anthem A2 even though it costs more.

An incredible amp to consider.

Are you open to buying used amplifiers?

Where are you located?

Bill

Just now, djfalstaff said:

I'm West Palm Beach FL.

Somewhat of a neighbor.;)

1 minute ago, djfalstaff said:

I'm not totally adverse to used equipment but it depends.

Good because the bang for the buck is alive and well with used amps.

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/ele/5947959222.html

These are well built beasts and the price is good.  I have owned several B&K pieces over the years and they have performed flawlessly.

Bill

42 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

For your "extreme forms of music", would these be 2.0 or 2.1 channels?  Would they be different sources than what you are using for "daily tasks?"

Daily tasks are the following 

5.1 for Hulu, Netflix, etc.

5.1 Blu Ray and DVD movies

2.1 for FLAC files (everything not on the list below)

5.1 FLAC files (everything not on the list below)

Extreme Listening at higher volumes

5.1 FLAC 1812 Overture

2.1 & 5.1 FLAC Symphonic/Progressive Metal 

2.1 Drum and Bass

2.1 Trance

All music comes from my JRiver software on PC

Netflix, Hulu, etc comes from LG OLED smart TV

All Blu Ray and DVDs are mkv rips playing thru JRiver

42 minutes ago, willland said:

I would not hesitate at all recommending this stereo amp.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/169149-aragon-8008bb-amplifier/

Bill

44 minutes ago, willland said:

Somewhat of a neighbor.;)

Good because the bang for the buck is alive and well with used amps.

These are well built beasts and the price is good.  I have owned several B&K pieces over the years and they have performed flawlessly.

Bill

I'll check out and research your suggestions and add them to my list. Thanks for your time.

42 minutes ago, willland said:

Bill

I could not agree more with Bill,  I run a 7  Channel HT in which the front soundstage consists of three RF 7ii  with a B and K 200.7 . 

I've even heard that they run hot so I bought a recommended electronics fan( i'm sure there's a more technical term I am unaware of)for the top to exhaust the heat but I have rarely had to use them.   I bought mine used from a for a member in Florida also, #Youthman. he packaged the unit up like a tank and sent it up to St. Louis and it's been pushing my system to ear bleeding levels(when called for)ever since:)

2 minutes ago, timdog5000 said:

I could not agree more with Bill,  I run a 7  Channel HT in which the front soundstage consists of three RF 7ii  with a B and K 200.7 . 

I've even heard that they run hot so I bought a recommended electronics fan( i'm sure there's a more technical term I am unaware of)for the top to exhaust the heat but I have rarely had to use them.   I bought mine used from a for a member in Florida also, #Youthman. he packaged the unit up like a tank and sent it up to St. Louis and it's been pushing my system to ear bleeding levels(when called for)ever since:)

I think the issue with me trying to add used gear to the list right now is that I just started the research phase of shopping and I won't be ready to buy for 3 months. I imagine the used prices should be about the same when I'm ready to buy, though.

Many folks in audio/video land, including some on this forum, do not really understand dynamics so they dismiss the idea of outboard amplification as just a way to play music/movies louder.  Adding quality outboard amplification is so much more than that.

I am clearly in the outboard amplifier camp.:wub:  

Bill

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, willland said:

Many folks in audio/video land, including some on this forum, do not really understand dynamics so they dismiss the idea of outboard amplification as just a way to play music/movies louder.  Adding quality outboard amplification is so much more than that.

Bill

I agree completely. The truth is that I didn't feel like anything was lacking until I played some stuff listed in my extreme listening post.

It might be some my all time favorites are in that list so I'm more tuned into them.

14 hours ago, willland said:

Bill

I agree Bill, when I switched from running my system with my Yamaha Aventage The sound just became so much more full and Rich and I noticed subtle nuances in music and movies that I had never heard before. I'm sure there are many more adjectives I could use but  bottom line is I would never go back to just an AVR even though I know many people on the forum disagree.