Is my RC-64ii working properly?

AlanWinslow

I purchased a used RC-64ii through Ebay to replace my RC-7 which has been great but wanted an upgrade. I notice the RC-64ii is a bit harsh with certain voices and tones. Some things sound great and others harsh. The RC-7 stays smooth when playing the same material or passages.  The is a bit more clarity with the RC-64ii.

I am using a Denon avr-x4300 as a preamp through a Sherbourn 7/2100.  With the Denon's EQ and tone control I adjusted the frequencies to sound it's best.

It still sounds harsh and hard on the ears.

Is there a test I can do to see if there is something wrong with a driver or xover in the speaker?

I am a big Klipsch fan and have Lascala 2's in my 2 channel system with tubes.

HT Main speakers RB75s with RS7s as surrounds.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think there is anything wrong because what you describe is very similar to what I experienced when I tried the 64II, I ended up switching back to the RC-7. Now that I have the RF-7 II's (same horn) I experience the same thing at times with my mains, it's like certain high frequencies are boosted and with some material it just gets obnoxious and needs to be turned down. I believe Deang has come up with some crossover mods to address the issue but I'm not entirely sure, was going to message him about that.