What am I missing?

The Dude

Ok here is the back story.  I have been running a TTLS in my system with good results.  I was using a Behringer Inuke 1000 dsp, which seemed to work fine.  I didn't know care for the fan even after I swapped it out with a quit version and the leds drove me nuts.  I also am planning on giving a pair TH spuds another try once my room is done.  So I thought I would start seeking out another sub amp.  I sold the Behringer and started looking for another amp. in the mean time I was using my Bryston 2b-lp bridge for the sub amp.  Things were sounding good, except the turn on thump from the Bryston was driving me nuts.   I had my mind set on a crown K2, but was in Guitar center yesterday and seen that they had the Crown XLS 2502.  I liked how it had the dsp and the fan only kicks on when needed.  They have a 45 day money back guarantee, so I figured I would give it a try.  Its rated at 440w at 8 ohms, 775w at 4 ohms in stereo and 1550w at 8 ohms, 2400w at 4 ohms bridged.  I thought by sure this thing should have more than enough head room for the ttls, maybe not were I want to be for the spuds when I go that route, but it has to be better than the Behringer Inuke 1000 dsp.  I was running the Inuke in stereo to the TTLS and seemed to have plenty power to push the TTLS.

So here is my problem, I have found I have that I have to have the crown gain cranked up (half way) running in bridge mode and the gain up to +5 db on the receiver, to really notice the bass.  As before, I did not.  I did have the gain up quit a bit on the I nuke, but the gain was low on the receiver. Any ideas, am I missing something important?  Maybe the extra power wasn't necessary and I only have a marginal gain. Just when I thought I had things figured out, I guess I don't.

• Like 1

I can only tell you that I have a K2 and EP4000's in the house and the EP4000's sound way better powering my THTLS subs. Way more power than is needed but it's what I got and it works great. Especially since I love running the K2 on my mains.

No turn on thump etc.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Guys more in the know here will tell you that 50 watts is plenty to power that sub. I think placement/location is what you need to pursue.

My TTLS will only make bass in one location in my room. That's it. Subs can be a PITA.

Guys more in the know here will tell you that 50 watts is plenty to power that sub. I think placement/location is what you need to pursue.

My TTLS will only make bass in one location in my room. That's it. Subs can be a PITA.

The thing that i dont get is, i seemed to have good performance in the same spot with a lower powered amp.

I was told 1-2" from the side wall and 8-12" from the other wall. After experimenting I settled on 2" from the sidewall and 10" from the other wall. A few inches made a big difference.

• Like 1

turn the gain up on the amp input.  halfway may seem a lot but its a gain control not volume.

Gain is one thing i struggle with, i never know if it is better to have it cranked up on the pre or the amp. I usually try to find a sweet spot and live with it.