RF7II black or cherry?

Kman

haven't decided on a screen yet. But I do want a 2.35 scope screen. Much more common in a fixed screen than a motorized. much cheaper too. most likely a JVC projector. but the HDMI run is 35ft. to it. And all I have been reading lately is the trouble people are having getting HDR,UHD, 4k etc with such long cable runs. So its on the back burner for a bit. 

right now trying to pick out a TV. not an easy task nowadays. was leaning towards the Sony XBR75 X940D. 

I know new models are coming out soon too. seems all the gear is in transition now.  I am new to all this 4k stuff. infact I don't have it yet. still rocking a 2006 plasma. 

The sound treatments are awesome. I ordered them from Acoustimac. They make a huge difference in taming down the room. used to be very echo-like before. I want to listen to music too in the room so it will help with that too. 

1 hour ago, Shodrewken said:

Seems like black might be the winner here, and for the color scheme of the room, I think I would lean that way to. However, I personally own the cherry RF-7 II's and I love the finish on them. This is a picture of them at my old place, but you can get an idea of what the color looks like.

58b46e33cfd00_photo(1).thumb.JPG.6c62979ee0114fb5a0bcf8689b30d1d1.JPG

Very nice. I do like the cherry better than the black, but maybe not in all situations. This is a tough one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kman said:

so nice- not making my decision any easier. yours seem a bit darker than Youthmans mock up picture. maybe there is hope after all.......

The cherry finish can look totally different in pictures depending on the lighting. Here is a pic of one of mine taken with a flash and one without a flash....black is a pretty safe bet on what you'll get.

jPSqcrFh.jpgjuMIrulh.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kman said:

thanks-I've been following yours- its awesome. love all the detail put into it.  Mine was never intended to be a full fledge movie room- but things just kept changing. still might go with a tv on wall and motorized screen. kind of best of both worlds. hard to tell from the pic, but I had a recessed area above the cabinet in the ceiling installed for this purpose. I should take some  more pictures I guess.

I had a perfectly good 65" Panny 3d plasma that I mounted on the wall behind the screen thinking that I may want to use it once in a while when watching older movies or playing games.  So, I bought a motorized, tensioned screen and mounted it out from the wall in front of the tv.  

I haven't used the tv even one time since I got the projector and screen.  It doesn't matter what I happen to be watching, it's much better on a big screen!  I could have saved a good chunk of change by just going with a fixed screen and using the tv somewhere else.

The photos below also show my black RP280's against a grey background, if that helps at all.  

IMG_0170.thumb.JPG.df0c8c86680881acfa147d45489fd697.JPG

IMG_0171.thumb.JPG.86db9500daf5861eab65a31b4eec23ce.JPG

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, yippiechicken said:

I had a perfectly good 65" Panny 3d plasma that I mounted on the wall behind the screen thinking that I may want to use it once in a while when watching older movies or playing games.  So, I bought a motorized, tensioned screen and mounted it out from the wall in front of the tv.  

My original plans were the same but I opted to just have a fixed screen.  My original screen was 103".  Someone gave me an 82" 3D DLP TV.  We had it for about 2 weeks, didn't watch one thing on it.  Why?  Because why watch on an 82" when you have a 103".  So I totally understand your logic.  Sweet looking setup you have there as well.

57 minutes ago, yippiechicken said:

I haven't used the tv even one time since I got the projector and screen.  It doesn't matter what I happen to be watching, it's much better on a big screen!  I could have saved a good chunk of change by just going with a fixed screen and using the tv somewhere else.

The photos below also show my black RP280's against a grey background, if that helps at all.  

IMG_0170.thumb.JPG.df0c8c86680881acfa147d45489fd697.JPG

IMG_0171.thumb.JPG.86db9500daf5861eab65a31b4eec23ce.JPG

that looks awesome. very nice setup. well I think I was out voted on the fixed screen. thats exactly what I told my wife. fixed screen is so much cheaper and much easier to hang on the wall. I think I am losing that battle. Besides picking out TVs suck IMHO. My head is spinning from reading al the reviews and problems with just about every set. Usually go with Costco just because I am so paranoid about about this huge tv and going through all the trouble of hanging it and then something happens and have to take it all down again and box it up. no thanks...at least with a projector it seems it would be much easier.  

One benefit I think having a tv is playing surround music. seems a lot of times you have to go into the menu for Blu-ray audio to select modes etc. don't really want to boot up the projector for that every time ( I know being lazy). thanks for the pics-appreciated

57 minutes ago, Youthman said:

My original plans were the same but I opted to just have a fixed screen.  My original screen was 103".  Someone gave me an 82" 3D DLP TV.  We had it for about 2 weeks, didn't watch one thing on it.  Why?  Because why watch on an 82" when you have a 103".  So I totally understand your logic.  Sweet looking setup you have there as well.

I hear ya...would save me a lot of heartache..except trying to figure out the whole long cable run issues of late with UHD. But I didn't mention that to her...

I know I need to take some better pictures- but for now these might help explain a few things that were discussed. Very early framing view of front wall - you can see what surrounds the room. and also the area that was built to house a motorized screen with outlets and curtains behind the trim if so desired. wall outside room with white tyvek was the back of the existing house- this has been removed and is now the kitchen. sorry I know this thread is about speaker colors and not a build but figured a few pics might clear up some of the conversations in this thread. 

IMG_0053.JPG

front.jpg

3A.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

so after all that I decided to go with the RP280/450C set up. I think getting them black was the right choice too. I was buying so much other gear I needed to shave off a few bucks where I could. thinking down the road I could get the RF7III's. if I wanted.  Have to say I am very satisfied with these speakers. Not really the Klipsch sound I am accustomed too- but they definitely rock for Movies & music. The RS62II's work great with them and the 5800's in the ceiling. Paired them with a Yamaha A3060 and and external amp for 7.1.4. Atmos sound awesome. finally got the JVC projector and Stewart screen up. so far so good. looking forward to some movie watching now.

M4.jpg

M5.jpg

M3.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kman said:

so after all that I decided to go with the RP280/450C set up. I think getting them black was the right choice too. I was buying so much other gear I needed to shave off a few bucks where I could. thinking down the road I could get the RF7III's. if I wanted.  Have to say I am very satisfied with these speakers. Not really the Klipsch sound I am accustomed too- but they definitely rock for Movies & music. The RS62II's work great with them and the 5800's in the ceiling. Paired them with a Yamaha A3060 and and external amp for 7.1.4. Atmos sound awesome. finally got the JVC projector and Stewart screen up. so far so good. looking forward to some movie watching now.

M4.jpg

M5.jpg

M3.jpg

Looks awesome!

thanks everyone.appreciate it. Lots of work to get this point-but finally got the picture dialed in a bit to my liking ( my first projector- so steep learning curve). But I see now what all the fuss is about having a big screen setup. just need to get back row seating now. people already wanting to come over to watch movie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kman said:

thanks everyone.appreciate it. Lots of work to get this point-but finally got the picture dialed in a bit to my liking ( my first projector- so steep learning curve). But I see now what all the fuss is about having a big screen setup. just need to get back row seating now. people already wanting to come over to watch movie. 

Hey....is this an invite? I'll bring popcorn:D

23 minutes ago, suniths said:

@Kman Newbie here...do you have a HT build thread?

Really like the colors and layout. Trying to find more info about the screen size, seating distances, colors used and acoustic panels. Any help appreciated!

I did not do an official build thread. maybe I should have. This room was only one small part of a rather extensive addiction/renovstion so I was dealing with a lot of other aspects of the build. i suppose I could put something together. just don't want to repeat a lot of what I already discussed here. any questions let me know. hopefully I can help.