wvu80

1 hour ago, Shodrewken said:

I had some issues with my 840 evo drive. It would BSOD on me too from time to time. However I learned Samsung made a ssd software update to that drive specifically and once I had it installed I haven't had any problems since. I'm running Win 7 as well. 

I had not heard that.

I'll check that out immediately and install the update.  Thanks.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:35 PM, Shodrewken said:

No problem, its called the Samsung Magician software, if you google that it'll take you to their website where you can download the file to install.

I've got the old Magician Software but I'll get the latest version.

+++

I ran a full scan with Windows Security Essentials, over 5 hours to run (I didn't give it full CPU access).   It found 6 Serious threats and the files definitely looked like malware, Trojan Horse, etc.

I then ran the full scan again, it found 4 more Serious Threats, another 5 hours of scan time.

+++

The software AMD AI Suite  that tracks CPU use by core and temps is not working.  I need to update that as well.

I am still getting high CPU use which is fluctuating for no apparent reason, no apps running.  The fans keep kicking in with high CPU useage.

I am getting 60% with no apps running and fluctuations from 80% down to 30%. 

When I disconnected the Wi-fi CPU usage went down to 20% and the chart was ruler flat at 20%.  I could move the mouse and get increased use to about 22-25% then stop use and the chart went right back down to a flat 20%.

I am tracking my wi-fi use and it is at least 50% higher starting two weeks ago.  My daily use is typically 1-2 GB per day.  Since Feb 14 it has been about 15 GB per day with no changes in my on-line habits.

No BSOD for the last couple of days, though.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I am tracking my wi-fi use and it is at least 50% higher starting two weeks ago.  My daily use is typically 1-2 GB per day.  Since Feb 14 it has been about 15 GB per day with no changes in my on-line habits.

Time to change your wifi password.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Time to change your wifi password.

I can do that, but my Asus wireless router software lets me see who is logged on.  There is nothing there but myself and my wife's Iphone.  Still, prudent advice I will take.

We are thinking the same way, as I rebooted the router to get a new IP address.  It had been running 100 straight days without a reboot.

+++

There is something going on, and with the BSOD problem and my subsequent discovery of how much internet data is being used, along with the computer CPU running way too much, I may have multiple problems.

I have to build in some time to run the air compressor and really get that PC dust out, I know the places I missed the first time.

Then I'll run another full virus scan.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I can do that, but my Asus wireless router software lets me see who is logged on.  There is nothing there but myself and my wife's Iphone.  Still, prudent advice I will take.

We are thinking the same way, as I rebooted the router to get a new IP address.  It had been running 100 straight days without a reboot.

+++

There is something going on, and with the BSOD problem and my subsequent discovery of how much internet data is being used, along with the computer CPU running way too much, I may have multiple problems.

I have to build in some time to run the air compressor and really get that PC dust out, I know the places I missed the first time.

Then I'll run another full virus scan.

If your using Windows 7 those conditions you have stated reminded me of my problem with the svc host running 25 % forever do to the faulty updates from Microsoft which they solved with the latest updates.

JJK

• Like 1

Maybe a format might be in order. I format every year, to year and a half and it keeps things pretty smooth. Through a recent formatting I discovered Microsoft has posted download links to get the SP1 patch for Win 7 and other necessary updates to get the other critical updates going if whatever version of Win 7 you have doesn't start doing it on its own.  

7 minutes ago, Shodrewken said:

Maybe a format might be in order.

I hadn't thought of that.  I would want to know the risks with re-formatting an SSD as they are just different enough that what I don't know might hurt me.  That is really not a bad idea if there are no negative consequences.

I have been thinking about a clean re-install and maybe even buying Win 10.  I've lost my Product Key and I know I can buy Win 7 or Win 8 for $40 through my school.  They don't list a price for Win 10 and unless I could get it cheap I would not get it.

My Evo 840 is the drive I format, and I've never run into a problem doing so. I have my own reasons for staying on Win 7, and would say if you can get more Product Key's for 7, jump on them. As always a good rule of thumb, if able, back up all your pertinent documents, photos, etc. have all your driver disks, or software on hand then commence with the re-install. 

11 hours ago, Shodrewken said:

My Evo 840 is the drive I format, and I've never run into a problem doing so.

That's good to hear.  I am much more likely to do the re-format as I have the exact same drive. 

I have my own reasons for staying on Win 7, and would say if you can get more Product Key's for 7, jump on them.

I'm sure you know Product Keys are available on-line.  I simply don't trust those companies.  For $40 I'd rather get a fresh set of disks from a trusted vendor.

As always a good rule of thumb, if able, back up all your pertinent documents, photos, etc. have all your driver disks, or software on hand then commence with the re-install. 

Again, good advice.  When I started having problems I backed up all my data to the 1T HDD.

I'm still trying to run down the reasons for the CPU overheating.  I think I'm going to sign off for a few hours and really blow the dust out.  I don't have any thermal paste so that will have to wait for a bit.  I really don't want to check under the CPU fan because if the paste is done for I might not be able to get the PC back up and running for a few days.

+++

I can get Win 7 or 8 for the same price.  (Win ten is not available for cheap through the school) I like Win 7 but its shelf life will be limited.  I know Win 8 was hated but it will be supported longer than Win 7.  Suggestions?

On 2/27/2017 at 6:10 AM, Marvel said:

Does the bios have cpu temp monitoring? I've had to pull the fan/heatsink off of some at work, flush the out and put on new thermal grease, remount.

Btw, at home i've used an electric leaf blower to get the dust out. A vacuum only goes so far. Canned air or careful use of an air compressor works too.

I used the air compressor for at least 20 minutes.  The CPU heat sink was completely clogged with fine white dust.  The rest of the case fans and power supply also had an incredible amount of dust as well.  The compressor did ten times better getting the dust than the vacuum did.

The fans were immediately more quiet upon start up.  It is idling around 25% now, a major improvement.  I'm still getting some fluctuations in CPU up to 80% useage with relatively minor apps running so I need to monitor some more.

I would appreciate if someone would run the Performance Monitor and give me some baseline numbers on their PC at idle with no apps, and then again with Firefox running.  If you could let me know your Avg, high and low I would appreciate it.  I am running an AMD quad core at 3400 Hz.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:49 AM, Shodrewken said:

I have my own reasons for staying on Win 7, and would say if you can get more Product Key's for 7, jump on them. As always a good rule of thumb, if able, back up all your pertinent documents, photos, etc. have all your driver disks, or software on hand then commence with the re-install. 

I'm going to take your advice and reformat the Evo 840.  I'd like your advice for prep as I remove things from the C drive. 

I am really suspicious of Firefox constantly going out to the internet due to all the add-ons which have been installed and later removed/disabled.  I ran Malwarebytes last night and it found 32 instances of the ASK toolbar, which has never been in use by me.  I think dead end Firefox registry entries may be what is stealing CPU resources.

The plan is is reformat then do a clean install with Win 8.1.  I need to keep the book marks from the old Firebox as they are almost all links to good audio resources.

Glad you were able to get most of the dust out, that should help the fans and keep overall temps down. Do you know which series AMD proc that is? AMD's older lines aren't known for running cool, so that might be part of the problem right there. If you aren't looking to do a complete overhaul, you might want to look into investing a few buck into an aftermarket cooler. Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Corsair are just a few off the top of my head that I've had experience with that will do a much better job at cooling your proc than the stock heat sink and fan combo. Good aftermarket cooler isn't terribly expensive, you're probably looking at anywhere between $30-50 to do the job, and their not difficult to install.

I haven't used FireFox in awhile, so I can't comment on what you're experiencing. If after your new OS install and Fire Fox is still a system resources hog, it might be a good idea to look at a new browser. I've had good luck with Chrome.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

The plan is is reformat then do a clean install with Win 8.1

Win 8.1 wouldn't be my first choice, but it'll be supported longer than 7. 10 isn't so bad, as long as you turn off most of the sharing your info with Microsoft options, but who really knows if MS will honor whatever privacy setting you set your computer to.

51 minutes ago, Shodrewken said:

Win 8.1 wouldn't be my first choice, but it'll be supported longer than 7

Not my first choice either, but Win 10 is about $120 and the Win 8.1 is $40.  Although I like Win7 just as you said Win 8 is about 4 years newer and it will be supported longer.

Cleaning that dust eliminated the CPU running hot and I have not had any BSOD problems for several days now.  I was hoping for a hardware problem.  I really wanted to purchase a hot new CPU, DDR4 memory and Mobo.

I would still type just as slow.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:49 AM, Shodrewken said:

I find myself balking at a re-format.  The Samsung 840 SSD uses that NAND technology which wears out and eventually slows down after data has been written to it.

At the moment the original problem, the BSOD does not exist.  Updating the Win7 files might have cured that.  In addition, using the air compressor on the clogged CPU cooler fins seems to have taken care of the case fans kicking on and off due to excess heat, caused by the CPU running at 90% even with no load on it.  Everything is quiet and smooth right now.  I just checked the CPU performance.  With no load it is idling at 1-2% CPU.  Perfect.

I also worry about the 100 MB Drive F that the Magician software creates.  Mine is currently 99% full, I think it contains certain backup files used by the SSD drive, not sure.

After all the proper backups it would seem a Quick Format and using NTFS would be best and would be the least intrusive on the drive, again not sure.  Magician has a feature called "Secure Erase" and I'm not sure exactly what that does, except that after use the data is non-recoverable.

I have the Win8.1 in hand, but I think I need to research a bit more before I commit to either a clean install or a reinstall of 8 over 7.  I am leaning towards simply installing 8.1 over the current Win 7.  Again, not sure.

Your ideas?  Suggestions?