wvu80

Final Report:

• Win 7:  BSOD, slow moving computer
  • Cleaned clogged CPU heat sink w/air compressor
  • Bought Win 8.1 (hated the interface)
  • Installed 8.1 right over top Win7, no reformatting
  • Upgraded to Win 10 for free 3 days later (liking it)

Now:

BSOD is gone

Slow moving computer is gone, with nothing running CPU idles at 1-2%

After getting the license to 8.1 I found out Microsoft still offers a free upgrade to 10 for users of assistive technologies.  They don't ask for verification and it's a free upgrade.  Just click the Upgrade Now button.  It's a 4 GB file load, takes about an hour.  It's quick and painless, smooth update from 8.1 for me.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

I hate that Win 8 is always trying to sell you something, Win 10 does that to a lessor extent.  Still, Win 10 runs fast, no bugs so far and I like the interface because it looks and feels like Win 7.

Thank you to everybody who helped.  It really did help and the 2010 computer seems to have new life.

I Meant to tell you that you could still get ver. 10 for free. You should have the 1607 core with all the updates installed. Windows 10 works more like a service, but they are supposed to be pretty much through with the major issues. I really like it, much faster and smoother overall.

You can obviously find lots of tweaks online, turning off what you don't like, etc. I use some multitrack recording software and there are tons of folks who have figured out how to make it even smoother running.

I Have a bunch of older PCs here, thrown out at my last job, and  ver. 10 runs fine on them. Looking at getting a more modern cpu/system this summer, to get my main recording system more into this century. I can hardly wait. Don't know if I want to go Intel or get one of the new AMD Ryzen 8 core CPUs.

Very cool, Dave!

Bruce

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

I Meant to tell you that you could still get ver. 10 for free. You should have the 1607 core with all the updates installed.

Hey, good call.  I just checked my install and it is indeed 1607.  I didn't even know what to check.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

I Have a bunch of older PCs here, thrown out at my last job, and  ver. 10 runs fine on them. Looking at getting a more modern cpu/system this summer, to get my main recording system more into this century. I can hardly wait. Don't know if I want to go Intel or get one of the new AMD Ryzen 8 core CPUs.

My seat-of-the-pants impression agrees with yours, that Win 10 appears to be more zippy than 7.  Win 8.1 was fast as well.

+++

I've been helping a buddy make a modern PC purchase here lately.  I exposed how out-of-date my computer hardware (and software) knowledge base is, so I've been watching a lot of Youtube vids on the latest stuff including that Ryzen.  I recently found a guy who is interesting to listen to, Linus Tech Tips.

Hitler still seems to go for the Ryzen.

For anyone just starting with Windows 10, if you right click on the start icon, your favorite tools are listed, i.e., control panel, device manager, disk management, etc.

Easier than digging around for them. :emotion-21:

Bruce

• Like 1

Windows 10 in my older computer works fine except for the constant activating the Microsoft Mail website during booting which I had to disable in the services of Task Manager. It also kept trying to install a printer driver which it didn't like very much so it shut of the USB buss. After I deleted the driver it was fine. On another machine Windows Pro 10 it did not like one of the Gigabyte motherboard drivers and was constantly raising hell with the system so had to re-install Windows 7 Pro.  One other thing Windows 10 does is block out the modems during auto update downloading so that another computer on the network just sits there doing nothing until the updates are done. That's with a 6 meg connection.

JJK

JUst did a fresh Win 10 install, regular sata drive. It took about 20 minutes, but i got the media last spring, so the update took about 10 minutes for the 4 gig download and maybe 30 to install. I have the 1607 release at work, but I didn't have a free usb drive to copy it. That would have sped things up a lot.

I Still need to find the page on a recording forum I belong to to get all the tweaks for helping out the multitrack DAW software to not have interruptions.

Bruce