Anyone ever quit without something to jump to?

Thaddeus Smith

A little tip for basically free healthcare (although a little shady) is to sign up for an FSA account during your open enrollment if you know you are leaving soon and have a surgery etc coming up. Then use your FSA card for the surgery and leave your job soon after. Since the money is pre-funded you wont be responsible for the remaining payments.

Good luck on your new adventure! I think the best thing to fill your time is to focus on hobbies and interests you can monetize down the road such as photography. If you do need to find a job, you can always come to Utah. Utah county is the new "Silicone Valley" and there are literally 5 billboards in a row advertising for tech jobs.

5 minutes ago, twk123 said:

A little tip for basically free healthcare (although a little shady) is to sign up for an FSA account during your open enrollment if you know you are leaving soon and have a surgery etc coming up. Then use your FSA card for the surgery and leave your job soon after. Since the money is pre-funded you wont be responsible for the remaining payments.

Good luck on your new adventure! I think the best thing to fill your time is to focus on hobbies and interests you can monetize down the road such as photography. If you do need to find a job, you can always come to Utah. Utah county is the new "Silicone Valley" and there are literally 5 billboards in a row advertising for tech jobs.

way ahead of you, already did this. wife had some gut issues in january that consumed a large portion of the FSA funds and then we used the rest knocking out doctor, dentist, and optometry visits over the last month an a half or so since making the decision to leave. last year we ended up with a surplus of funds and used them in december to stock up on first aid kits and other small medical equipment from fsastore.com (website stocking only FSA approved items). Having that available makes me much less apprehensive about doing an FSA since there's less risk of money being wasted if not used through normal med care and prescriptions.

On 2/26/2017 at 8:49 PM, wvu80 said:

The average person will change jobs 7 times in their lifetime, and have 2 completely career paths.

I would still advise you to have something lined up before you quit your current job.  Especially in today's job market, it's not easy to find another job.

I would agree with the above. It is always easier to find a job when you have a job in my experience. Best of luck to you! It is definitely no good to be a in job you don't enjoy.

1 minute ago, babadono said:

I already stated "epic" would be you 'n @Tarheel in Martini mixin' duel. Or is that shakin'? I know nothing about martinis.

You and Chuck are a couple of people that I've never met in person but am looking forward to.  I don't believe he's confirmed that he's coming yet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Accepted a job offer today and start my new gig on Monday. It was scheduled for 45 minutes at 9:30 and turned into 90 minutes plus lunch. I'll be employee #3 of a small MSP that's been around for the better part of a decade and was (still is) a customer of the colocation/hosting company I left in April. He's looking to grow and I get to be a part of that process. We really clicked and he's basically polar opposites to all of the major gripes which caused me to quit my last job - so I'm really excited.

This was a great experiment, based on some calculated risks and known limitations. We took camping trips, went to the Pilgrimage, did a ton of work to the property, grew our chicken flock, added a goat herd, two turkeys for Christmas and Thanksgiving holidays, a couple of all day road trips, had a ton of concentrated family time. Accrued a little debt, but overall managed to rely on what we had set aside for this break. As far as I can tell it was a huge success and we're rested and recharged for the next phase of our family growth - the girls are starting their home school regiment, i'm heading back to work, we've got a growing farm, so on and so on. All with fresh attitudes and energy.

Today was a good day.

• Like 7