Anyone ever quit without something to jump to?

Thaddeus Smith

I'm burned out on the whole career and it's impacting the quality of my work, my health, and my happiness. So I'm looking to take a couple of months to reconnect with my family, work on projects around the house, and figure out what I want to "do" now that I'm almost 35. Nothing lined up in the near term, but I can probably call in some favors for emergency work, and I've got some funds stashed away for the interim. Putting in my notice tomorrow.

Anyone done something similar? Tips on how best to use this time to reinvent myself and recharge? Some days I'm more of a millennial than other days, this is one of them.

• Like 2

More important than any job is being there for family, your health and mental well being. No doubt money makes the world go 'round but without all the above has little meaning. You say funds are available for a short hiatus and if you have skills for today's market then take a break and refresh. Hit it hard after a few months in another environment where things have a different look.

I had a different situation a few years ago when under new management and slow business the writing was on the wall, so I left.

A year and a half later the new president asked why no one was in my previous position - one thing led to another and a month later I was back in a more prestigious position, more $$$ and a new outlook from all parties.

Best luck 

• Like 2

i did when i was single; but, never had the guts to do it after i got married and had kids.

i’m sure you’ve been thinking about this and talking to the wife about it...so i hope it works out fine.  Far more to life than money.  My only advice is to make sure your wife is 100% with you on this.  If it’s a long, hard road before you get back to work--you really don’t need any tension or resentment between you two.

Best wishes -- i hope you find something that you really enjoy doing.

• Like 2

I've been with my current company for 36 years. I have done 5 different jobs while there. Have you asked your current employer if there's something else you can do? For me a new challenge was instrumental in keeping me gainfully employed while staying within a nurturing environment. Sounds goofy but I consider myself extremely fortunate.  

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cincymat said:

I've been with my current company for 36 years. I have done 5 different jobs while there. Have you asked your current employer if there's something else you can do? For me a new challenge was instrumental in keeping me gainfully employed while staying within a nurturing environment. Sounds goofy but I consider myself extremely fortunate.  

Mark

Been with this company for 6 and done 3 different jobs, it's time. ;)

Yes.  Been there, done that, and in fact as mentioned above immediately made a trip to Mexico to celebrate and recalibrate.  There is vey little worse than taking crap from an abusive or otherwise despicable employer and real men don't take it, and real families are willing to support.

Dave

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, richieb said:

More important than any job is being there for family, your health and mental well being. No doubt money makes the world go 'round but without all the above has little meaning. You say funds are available for a short hiatus and if you have skills for today's market then take a break and refresh. Hit it hard after a few months in another environment where things have a different look.

I had a different situation a few years ago when under new management and slow business the writing was on the wall, so I left.

A year and a half later the new president asked why no one was in my previous position - one thing led to another and a month later I was back in a more prestigious position, more $$$ and a new outlook from all parties.

Best luck 

I've heard this happening to people a few times. Left a job, then at some point going back for a better position. What's the old saying....you never really get a raise until you quit.

3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i did when i was single; but, never had the guts to do it after i got married and had kids.

i’m sure you’ve been thinking about this and talking to the wife about it...so i hope it works out fine.  Far more to life than money.  My only advice is to make sure your wife is 100% with you on this.  If it’s a long, hard road before you get back to work--you really don’t need any tension or resentment between you two.

Best wishes -- i hope you find something that you really enjoy doing.

Yup, it was her idea. She's an RN, so worst case she goes back to work for a bit.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I respect all of you who've responded so far, so it's good to see this isn't such a weird idea after all.

Not just unweird.  It's the right thing to do if your job is messing you up.  With the support of your family you will do fine.  Put on a good copy of "Take this job and shove it..." and do what you need to do, my friend.

Dave

• Like 1

The average person will change jobs 7 times in their lifetime, and have 2 completely different career paths.

I would still advise you to have something lined up before you quit your current job.  Especially in today's job market, it's not easy to find another job.

• Like 3

When I did finally retire two years ago and after being back with the company for four years I've recently heard "through the grapevine" that another return has been mentioned. At this point I doubt that is happening, I've become too set in my ways and either answering to someone again and/or traveling might be more than I could take, travel in particular. And besides 30 years with a company is/was enough. It would take way more $$$ to go back and I know that ain't happening. But then again - my wife is retiring in June and will be around my normally empty, do as I please house - maybe it wouldn't take That much money to get me back!!! Our little secret guys, right!!!??

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of liking your job, quality of life, and work-life balance.  Stress is a killer - literally.  In 26 years, I've left a job 3 times for a lower paying job with a better work-life balance.  All have eventually worked out for the better.  HOWEVER, you should think long and hard before quitting a job with nothing lined up.  I'm not sure what line of work you are in but when you are interviewing for a job and you already have a job, that looks much better for you in the potential employer's eyes.  Not to mention you feel much more confident.  Try to line up a job where you don't have to start for a few months.  But have something lined up.  Even the most choice prime rib spoils when it is out of the refrigerator for a short time.  Few things raise more red flags than a candidate with large unexplained gaps of time in their recent resume.  In other words, use your current crap job to pay you to find a new job.

Whatever you decide, best wishes.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

HOWEVER, you should think long and hard before quitting a job with nothing lined up.  I'm not sure what line of work you are in but when you are interviewing for a job and you already have a job, that looks much better for you in the potential employer's eyes.

I gotta say, this is also my attitude.  Not knowing how quickly employable you are, it might be a little mini vacation....or drag out to be a nightmare.

Good luck with whatever you do....  life is a journey.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Been with this company for 6 and done 3 different jobs, it's time. ;)

Then, follow your heart. My Dad told me there is no such thing as a bad decision.  The key is to make the best of what we've found.

Best of luck. 

Mark

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I gotta say, this is also my attitude.  Not knowing how quickly employable you are, it might be a little mini vacation....or drag out to be a nightmare.

Good luck with whatever you do....  life is a journey.

I've got something available towards the end of summer if I want to stay in the industry. And my wife can go to a hospital or agency and get something at around do 2/3rds our current salary - she's willing to do that if necessary.

It's not a spontaneous decision, but it's one where I don't have all the angles sorted out yet either - which is sort of the point.

All great feedback guys, thanks for chiming in with both support and caution.