Howard's Restor A Finish

Maximus89

So I want to use Howard's Restor a Finish to fix up an RC-7 in Cherry that has pretty bad scratches on the sides and bottom of the cabinet.  But, I was curious if I used Walnut or Dark Walnut if it would actually change the Cherry stain into Walnut or will it just leave it slightly darker with dark filled in scratches?

Just now, jimjimbo said:

It will not change the cherry stain into walnut.  Especially if you are just wiping it on with a smooth cloth.  If you were using steel wool, it would have more of an effect, but still not dramatic.

Thank you, Jim. I do plan on using the steel wool as the scratches are pretty severe.  That's quite alright, though. I'll just stick with cherry.  Klipsch speakers in walnut are just so damn sexy, though.

17 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

It will not change the cherry stain into walnut.  Especially if you are just wiping it on with a smooth cloth.  If you were using steel wool, it would have more of an effect, but still not dramatic.

Another quick question.  If i still went ahead and bought the Walnut Restor-A-Finish due to having more walnut furniture in my house to use it on, would it still work to take out the scratches of the cherry RC-7?

If the scratches are severe as you stated, don't expect magic.....I would only advise using 0000 steel wool.  You can let the Howard's sit on the surface for a few minutes after application with the steel wool, and then wipe in one direction with a smooth cotton cloth.  Let sit another couple of minutes, and wipe again.

• Like 1

To really change the color of the stain and eliminate most of the scratches, you would need to sand down the cabinet to the point when the stain is gone and you are left with bare wood (do at your own risk). Then you would need stain it with a walnut stain. Keep in mind stains look different on different kinds of wood, so putting a walnut stain on a cherry veneer probably won't look exactly like klipsch' s walnut finish speakers. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's more work than I'd like to put into it right now. I'm fine with using Howard's cherry to get all the scratches out, but if it doesn't work, I'll go the sanding route only if I decide to re-sell due to poor timbre match with my Forte's and help fund a single Heresy in WO as a center or a pair of FII or CII to use as mains and allowing my current Forte's to be used as front and rear center in a 6.1 set up.

I know it's basically impossible to match another speaker finish, so that idea is out the window.  Was just curious how strong Howard's Restore-A-Finish was.