Receiver switch

dtr20

@derrickdj1 you recommended the Niles amplifier switch in another thread to someone so they can have 1 set of speakers hooked to 2 separate sources. I picked up one of these and it works great. I have my Pioneer sx-1010 receiver (solid state) and my harman kardon fa3000x receiver (tube) hooked up to my khorns. I know you are not supposed to run a tube amp without speakers hooked up to the outputs. I just wanted to know if it's safe to a+b my receivers with this switch with one being a tube receiver. Do I need to shut off the amp? I hope this makes sense.

If you are switched to the SS amp there will be no load for the tube amp.  Here is what I did with a tube amp...

I had the 12 volt activation signal plugged into the same power strip as my tube amp.  When I turned on the power strip it would switch the Niles switch over to the connection for the tube amp.  Unless the 12 volt power supply failed I couldn't have the tube amp on without a speaker load.  Used it that way for a year or so.

My tube amp is one with no standby and is a PP amp.  When switching from the avr, I will turn the sub amp on for a few minutes while still playing a movie or music on the avr.  Then I will use the Niles and switch to the tube amp.  This does not seem to cause a problem for the tube amp.  I have probably not switched over to the tube amp for 5 to 10 min. after turning it on.  Since this is a passive device, I don't think there is 0 load on the speaker and there must be a little bleed thru.  It could also be that this is a new amp with a lot of protection feature.