Speaker Mounting Suggestions?

MikeGinIllinois

I'm putting together my home theater area at our new place. Photo 1 shows my Cornwalls and HK AVR7200. I'm at the very beginning of doing this, thus the wire on the floor for testing purposes.
Photo 2 shows one of my Klipsch Synergy surrounds tucked in a shelf.
Photo 3 is my other Klipsch Synergy surround sitting on a camera tripod. Right behind it is a circular vertical ceiling support that has been encased in a wooden sheath.
Photo 4 shows the rear of the room.
I'd like to mount one of my surrounds on that vertical support rather than having it sit on a camera tripod. Does anyone know of a product or have a suggestion that might work? A Synergy probably weighs about 5 pounds.

In the rear of the room it would be nice to have my Sony desktop rear speakers but I can't think of a way to mount them. This is a drop ceiling and maybe I could hang them from a couple of the supports. I'm not crazy about having speakers just hanging down from the ceiling. Maybe having rears in this environment is an impossible dream.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions that anyone cares to offer!
Mike Gallery - Bull Valley, IL
k1.jpg.74bde6cb9fd9ebbddbad4bffba1523c3.jpgk2.jpg.43d1b186d738cb77230f6a8684481abb.jpgk3.jpg.7b9ef2a8df7bae7f1eb14d76a01f0bc1.jpgk4..jpg.247946e6dd80bef5a966dd1a02d6c9ca.jpg

Monoprice has this, a single shelf wall mount.  I'm not recommending it because I've never used it, instead I'm just saying it's there for your consideration.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10917&cs_id=1091705&p_id=10478&seq=1&format=2

104781.jpg

Have you considered using a shelf from Lowes or Home Depot?  They would have wood shelves which would match your decor.

4424140.jpg

+++

As for the height of the side surrounds, I'd like to see them slightly above ear height.  Can you place that one Klipsch Synergy nearer to the top of that shelf where the book sits?  Then the other speaker could sit higher on a shelf to match, attached to that vertical support, as you suggested.

I am presuming you don't want a speaker stand, like this 23" model from Monoprice:

122811.jpg

+++

I don't know if you are committed to the 7.1 setup, but all the rear surrounds do is duplicate the signal from the side surrounds in most cases.  You might want to consider staying with the 5.1, I don't think you will miss any audio content.

I don't know what the Sony speakers sound like, but if they are not up to the SQ of the Synergy, I think they might actually degrade the sound.  You've got those fantastic Cornwalls up front.  I can't imagine the Sony's would contribute much to your listening environment.

Hi! I can live with 5.1. I had 7.1 at the old place and I like the fullness the extra two speakers gave me but I can live without them. I can also adjust the height of the surrounds.

What is the Monoprice item you included? That vertical column is probably a steel cylinder which is encased in decorative wood. I can't screw directly into it so I'll need something that maybe straps onto the column to hold the surround. Maybe I could strap that shelf mount to the column with tie wraps if it will hold a speaker.

Thank you. <-:

Mike Gallery

Have you seen the side mounting speaker clamps?  They hold up to 33 pounds, but if I understand you correctly you are not sure about how much strength is in the wood facade covering the vertical column.

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488376380&sr=8-5&keywords=speaker+mount+wall

71BGFkOYogL._SL1500_.jpg

Hi, Dave. The Amazon link you provided looks promising! The wood facade covering the column came off of a roll of material. With enough work I could "peel" it off the column. So I'll have to take whatever speaker mount I get and strap it to the column. I'm thinking a few tie wraps might hold something like the Amazon product securely. For sure I don't think I can drill holes and mount screws in the column. It has to be steel, I would think.
Yes, I would prefer not to use a speaker stand. I'll be moving about in that area and one day, for sure, I'll bump into any stand I have going and knock the speaker right down. Later I'll have a couch there and I don't want to konk anyone's noggin.

P. S. A friend suggested these for hanging the rears.

http://www.daleproaudio.com/p-551-allen-products-sas-100-cm-loudspeaker-suspension-aiming-mount.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ShoppingFeed&utm_term=ProductListingAds&utm_content=AllProducts&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKEAiA_9nFBRCsurz7y_Px8xoSJAAUqvKCB-__ptXCtmZjoAq7hh0ee11UFqCtpdeGfzZ_dBEMeBoCgCXw_wcB

Mike

• Like 1

Hi, Dave. I took your advice and bought the speaker mount you suggested. In the pictures you can see how nicely the speaker has mounted to the support column.
I got 14" brown zip ties from an Ebay source in Florida. I had to attach two of them together to make them big enough to go around the speaker mounting bracket and column. We might have used a couple too many for cosmetic purposes but I'm finding this is a stable setup. If I manually push down on the speaker I could cause it to drop, I think, but just letting it set there holds it up quite nicely. I believe my Synergy speakers weigh under 10 pounds.
Now I'm checking into rears that would mount into a drop ceiling tile. I can get flat ones but I think I want ones that protrude out from the tile a little at an angle.

Thanks for your help!

Mike Gallery

Bull Valley, IL

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg