NOS vs. current production tubes

tube fanatic

Well it depends..... you use tubes that are for the most part not the norm for HiFi use which makes them inexpensive and not scrapping the bottom of the barrel. With more popular Hi Fi audio tubes the available "TRUE" NOS tubes at what most would consider affordable cost is pretty scarce. 

Just like anything it depends on point of view..

Now I read some comments stating the quality of vintage tubes was somehow inferior to today's modern production tubes....That is just plain stupid talk.

• Like 2

Nothing like a good Telefunken or even a NOS or ANOS RCA. I've tried them all from my Marshalls to my McIntosh. Output tubes a little different. Hard to justify spending a grand on a matched quad of 6550-Kt88

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I plan on bringing about 20 pair ANOS GE 5 Star triple mica 5751, to the Gathering. These must have been pulls. Lettering is just about perfect. I will match pairs and quads on my Sencore Continental 150. Then try each one in a small guitar amp head, for microphonics and gain.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

NOS or newer tubes will both get the job done.  It comes down to personal choice on which way you want to go.  Is there a significant difference in SQ between a good NOS vs good newer tube, not enough for me to shell out the money.  Those with an EQ'lizer in the system have a bit more control to shape the sound and don't have to relie on only the tube for the total SQ/sound characteristic of the system.  An equalizer is not the exact same but, it will tremendously decrease the number of tube purchases and need for tube rolling IMHO.

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

As an example I have been thinking of purchasing some 6P3S-E Russian tubes one can purchase on Ebay for around $30 a pair for a replacement in an EL34 amplifier.

Aren't those replacements for 6L6's not el34's?

On 3/1/2017 at 8:14 AM, NOSValves said:

Well it depends..... you use tubes that are for the most part not the norm for HiFi use which makes them inexpensive and not scrapping the bottom of the barrel. With more popular Hi Fi audio tubes the available "TRUE" NOS tubes at what most would consider affordable cost is pretty scarce. 

Just like anything it depends on point of view..

Now I read some comments stating the quality of vintage tubes was somehow inferior to today's modern production tubes....That is just plain stupid talk.

This is well said ..

Why are Vintage Tubes so sought after?

1. Sound quality. Need I say more?

2. Long life. It’s a well known fact that 1920-1960’s vintage tubes outlast current production tubes by 4 to 16+ times!!! Current manufacturers have been promising to fix this for over 30 years. It’s now 2015 and we are still waiting.

3. Reliability. The reliability of Vintage Tubes is legendary, and when combined with skilled selection, I have found over the years that I can reach a state of trouble free operation on par with high-end solid state gear. Here is another promise broken by modern manufacturers and distributors – we are still waiting for the claims of “as good” and “better than the original” to be fulfilled.

Are Your Prices Competitive?

Absolutely and often below my imitators. VTS is a one-man operation and will remain so. I have tried other systems and the simple fact is that if I don’t do everything from answering the phone to the final packing of the box, the system does not work! As there is no other service such as this, the prices in this catalog cannot be fairly compared to those on others “tube lists”. Even then, amazingly enough, many of the other dealers prices for raw “tested” tubes are the same and even some far higher! The alternative is to compromise the service and I will end it first.

Vintage Tube Services

7091 Eva Lane
Rockford, Michigan 49341
PHONE: (616) 454-3467

Tube Upgrades You Can Trust!

"I'll take a decent amplifier with the finest tubes any day over the finest amplifier with mediocre tubes."
- Andy Bouwman

Quality Results

If you want to roll the dice with a guy who has a service tester and no idea what the hell he is doing, have fun. But don't expect good results from your equipment!

Free Tube Upgrade Phone Consultations!

Speak directly with the expert. Celebrating 28 years of technical knowledge, experience, expertise, and tubes you can trust. Call me. Andy @ 616.454.3467

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Dirtmudd - you be Andy? Or just highly satisfied with his service? 

I'm Mike , Andy is very passionate about what he sells..And the equipment to proscess tube properly...He has a price point for everyone.. and there not bad !!! just remember when all the now stuff

is gone . the new tube prices will rise ... And yes Andy is putting together some tubes for my cj pv 7 .. That's comparable to what others

selling used vintage tubes !

On 3/3/2017 at 8:40 AM, wdecho said:

Technically yes but my amplifier can use them for an EL34 as most SE EL34 amplifiers. This is with single ended EL34 amplifiers. The cathode resistance is somewhat higher for an EL34 tube which will equate to less power than with an SE amplifier designed for a 6L6 amplifier but with our speakers there will still be plenty enough power. Expect maybe a watt less power. I probably should add that my SE EL34 amplifier is the Tubelab SSE one. 

This among others is what I found. Do some research yourself to see if your EL34 amplifier may be able to use them. The 6P3S is a beam tetrode unlike the EL34 but it should not matter in the amplifier. 

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/heres-a-terrific-el34-substitute-at-1-5-the-price.246656/

Thanks for clarifying that.  Not hijacking but now I'm wondering if I could swap in a quad of Jan Tung Sol 5881's into my Marantz 8B, which is push-pull but each tube can be individually biased and currently has Ge (Mullard) 6CA7's in them. Any thoughts?

On the subject at hand, I've rolled more tubes than I can count.  The biggest difference I hear is in the small tubes, IMO and while I prefer old-production tubes by a large margin, I've had quite great success using Gold Aero re-labeled russian 6DJ8's.  Great sound from those tubes, if you can find any.

It would seem that a tube like the EL 34 is designed for a certain amp.  Changing to KT88, 6V6 or other tube would shift the operating range.  If the EL 34 operates in the middle to give a balance top and bottom, changing to another tube will effect the top or bottom performance.  This would vary by tube and does not mean a KT88 or some other tube can't be used.

^that is interesting...

So far I have tried various versions of each kt88, 350b, kt66 in a circuit that can run just about any octal. I have not tried any el, 6l6, 6v6... I think I should.

So far the better kt88 tube is getting near the 350b, but nothing can match it. 

I am still searching for a cost effective alternative to a 350b tube... where output isn't really an issue.

To know what is really happening when switching to different tubes it's necessary to graph (or use a simulator) the operating parameters based on plate/screen voltage and current, bias, primary impedance of the opt, and the latter's ability to handle higher amounts of current than the stock tube.  I tend to scratch my head a bit when some designers claim that their amps can work with tubes which have very different operating parameters.  Switching to some tubes has to take the distortion level to very high values.  It's also worth checking the current draw of the filament. For example, if an amp is designed for the 6V6's 450 ma current draw, you need to know if the power xfmr can handle the 1.25A draw of, say, a 6Y6 and so on.  It's always wise to check with the manufacturer or designer before swapping in "similar" tubes.  

Maynard   

• Like 4

Makes sense to me Maynard.  Can't ask Saul Marantz, though, cause he's left the building.

I have swapped some tubes that are not precisely the same as the ones specified, but only small tubes, like 5751 for 12AT7, 7203 for 6DJ8's. etc.  I was curious about doing some swapping of the output tubes cause my Mullard 6CA7's are getting very long in the tooth, and although the difference is minor, they do sound better than the newer Russian and Chinese El34's I've tried.

9 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

If an amp is designed for the 6V6's 450 ma current draw, you need to know if the power xfmr can handle the 1.25A draw of, say, a 6Y6 and so on.  It's always wise to check with the manufacturer or designer before swapping in "similar" tubes.  

Maynard   

I already have... Dennis Had has specified that the inspire would handle just about any octal... he's measured most all of them25373158809_cd9e683378_o.jpg

I have to differ to HIS expertise.

• Like 1