How do you organize your albums?

tigerwoodKhorns

I am in the process of organizing a music room and going through boxes of old albums. 

I have always organized A-Z but I am wondering if you create categories? 

I was thinking Pop/Rock/Alternative  Then maybe Jazz in a separate stash, Country (the very few that I will keep) in another.

How do you organize your albums and what has worked for you? 

If you mix the Jazz with the others do you stumble across it and play it more?  Or will I never look at it? 

I don't know how many albums I have but it is about 10-15 boxes so not a small amount. 

Alphabetical...

Groups are filed by the first word in the group name (excluding "The"). Individual artists by last name. Albums with two individuals (e.g. Bobby Bland & B. B. King - Together Again...Live) are stored by the first artist listed. I considered separating by genre, but decided on the simplicity of just alphabetical.

I have all of my collection entered in Discogs. If I want to see a list of a particular genre, I can filter the list.

Also, this was discussed in another thread recently:

A to Z or Birds of a Feather

• Like 1

Theoretically by artist and genre.  In reality by chaos and confusion.  Works for me and if you can't find what you are looking for , you'll end up hearing something else, which is a good thing most times.

I try to keep the random stacks under 3 feet in height, and mostly use Container Store extra large milk cartons for the stuff that's actually kinda filed.  I find flipping is much better then turning your head sideways to try to read the end of an album and getting a crink in your neck.

Here's a link to the crates:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/stacking-storage/vinyl-record-storage-crate/12d?productId=10005526

• Like 1