Heresy Project - looking for advice

EJC

I have decided to embark on a Heresy Restoration/Rebuild project, estimated cost to be ~$1500
I found a pair of Heresy I cabinets on e-bay, the condition and the finish looks good. 

Crites has all the needed drivers and X-Overs, along with the risers.

I used Crites for my Forte II (1989) modifications (X-over and tweeter diaphragms) and was very pleased with the results.

Is there anything else to consider? Do I need to seal the cabinet seams?

• Moderators

Cool project, like you asked, is it sure would not hurt to put something around all the inside seams. I would guess they are fine but the tighter the cabinet is sealed the tighter the bass will be. It probably wouldn't hurt to also add a little thin layer of some type of sealant tape, kind of like weatherstriping between the cabinet and drivers.

What would be best for both of these jobs, I'm not sure to be honest, hopefully someone will have some real experience with this.  

Good luck

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I was kind of wondering why so high myself ?

The Cabinets were $325 shipped and the drivers, X-overs, and risers from Crites were $1120 shipped
I decided to go with the upgraded drivers from Crites rather than look for a set of 40yr old drivers.

Had i found a set of functioning speakers, I probably would have ripped into them and upgraded them anyway

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Cool project, like you asked, is it sure would not hurt to put something around all the inside seams. I would guess they are fine but the tighter the cabinet is sealed the tighter the bass will be. It probably wouldn't hurt to also add a little thin layer of some type of sealant tape, kind of like weatherstriping between the cabinet and drivers.

What would be best for both of these jobs, I'm not sure to be honest, hopefully someone will have some real experience with this.  

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion on sealing the seams

3 hours ago, moray james said:

if you were to build a Forte cabinet it has the identical footprint as a Heresy only taller with much deeper bass response. you don't have to use a passive you can  use a reflex vent(s) to achieve the same sort of load. just a suggestion.

Agreed since you are in project mode anyway. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, moray james said:

if you were to build a Forte cabinet it has the identical footprint as a Heresy only taller with much deeper bass response. you don't have to use a passive you can  use a reflex vent(s) to achieve the same sort of load. just a suggestion.

I have a pair of modified (Crites) Forte IIs, in a different system/location. I considered them but they are too tall, and I have a SubW in the system
Have to keep "She who must be obeyed" happy as well, and the hairy eyeball is upon me.

Lots of questions being asked and answered without even knowing which Heresy model is being discussed...HDB series? HB series? Mitered cabinet series?...if mitered, is the motorboard dropped in and stapled to the glue blocks inside the cabinet...with the grill cloth on its own separate frame, attached by velcro?...Or is the grille cloth wrapped around the motorboard and stapled to the inside of the motorboard prior to the motorboard being installed using screws to the glue blocks in the cabiinets???

More info gives better answers....that being said, 350 bucks is way too much for a pair of old Heresy gutted cabinets, IMHO!  That's at or slightly below what they likely cost when new COMPLETE speakers, depending upon when they were made.

Well you gotta do what you gotta do as they say. I am curious to know if you are familiar with what the bass response of a stock Heresy is like? If you find yourself like many others finding the bottom end response lacking what to do? It does not sound like you will have the ability to add a sub or two to your system. Have you considered other options like a used set of RF5 or a new set of R28F either will eat a Heresy up and spit it out imo. I know that you have spent money and that the ball is rolling but that never stopped any of us from having multiple projects. Keep the one you like sell the one you like less. The two loudspeakers mentioned both have vastly greater WAF compared to a Heresy and both get the tweeter horn up to a much better height closer to your seated ear level, neither require a sub. Just another thought or two.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dtr20 said:

You should be able to find a pair of heresy speakers with all parts for $325, just check craigslist.

That's a close price if available in the area. E-Bay more like $450 + shipping ($130) or local pickup if in your area.

However, I decided if I was going to go ahead with this I may as well use new drivers and X-over as well, which drove the cost up. 

The last of the parts arrived today and everything went together smoothly.

The cabinets were in great shape. they had been stained nicely, looked great and no blemishes.

All parts were supplied by Bob Crites. All of the parts were the upgraded parts.

E X-over

Woofer - CW-1228

Sqwaker - A-55G with original K-700 horn

Tweeter - CT-120

5 way binding posts replaced the original barrier strips.

Gasket material added to the rear panel for a better seal.

I added damping material to the driver frames. 

I did not damp the cabinet walls and I decided not to add bracing to the cabinet

The project came in on budget at just under $1500 for the pair. Some felt this was high, but since I wanted to do a complete rebuild i felt it was quite a bit cheaper than new.

I could have bought complete speakers for less, but knowing me I would have ripped into them and replaced parts anyway. And would the cabinets have been as nice?

Finally, the sound is great. Didn't listen for too long but so far, loving them

Klipsch%20Heresy%20edited_zpsx1xuoi8q.jp

• Like 3

And here they are in the system:

Yamaha RX-A 860

Fisher Studio Standard TT  - MT-273 w/ Ortofon OM-10 cartridge

TV -70" Vizio

Speakers - Main - Klipsch Heresy 1 

Front Surround - Martin Logan edge - in-wall

Center - Martin-Logan SLM - surface mount

Sub W - Parts Express Titanic

Rear - none

The room is a problem for audio. 18' ceilings, open area on the right. May have to go wireless for rear speakers, running wires would be a horror story.

Av%20with%20Heresys_zps6wsasz1h.jpg

AV%20with%20Heresys%203_zps2erba3ct.jpg

AV%20with%20M-L%20speakers%202_zps5d8yyb

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Good choice on the new parts purchased from Bob Crites for your Heresy project. The speakers look good in your room.

Yes they do look good, cool looking stand/cabinet.