Power rating of amp vs speakers

Mark Grech

I have recently bought the Klipsch Home Theater RP-F280 system. I am planning to drive them using a Yamaha RX-V781.

The speakers are 8 ohms and rated at 150w RMS/600w Peak while the Yamaha Amp delivers 95w RMS at 8ohms.

Is it a good match? 95% of people told me it's ok but then came along a connoisseur and said that having a lot of head room will blow a tweeter or two at high volumes as the amp will struggle and send clipped wave forms that can damage or will probably damage my speakers.  

I really need some expert advise

Thanks

Mark Grech,

Welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, Mark Grech said:

I have recently bought the Klipsch Home Theater RP-F280 system.

Very nice.

2 hours ago, Mark Grech said:

The speakers are 8 ohms and rated at 150w RMS/600w Peak while the Yamaha Amp delivers 95w RMS at 8ohms.

Is it a good match? 95% of people told me it's ok but then came along a connoisseur and said that having a lot of head room will blow a tweeter or two at high volumes as the amp will struggle and send clipped wave forms that can damage or will probably damage my speakers.  

The Yamaha should match fine provided you don't have a huge room and you don't listen at ear bleeding levels. 

Headroom(more power) is good and will make the amp/AVR work less.  Of course tweeters can be blown if you put the pedal to the floor to clipping.  Extreme high volumes and low powered amps trying to achieve those high volumes will damage speakers easier than high powered amps(headroom) will unless you are crazy with the volume knob.

Bill

• Like 1

I've always heard you blow tweeters with too little power and blow woofers with too much power. If you're speakers are crossed over correctly and you don't drive them past the point of distortion you should be fine.

You would be surprised how little power is needed to drive speakers at normal levels.  A gas lawn mower is 90db or so...  most speaker will put this out with around 1 watt

Most family movie listening levels are not more than that  So you should be fine as long as Daddy doesnt  listen to his old rock at ears splitting levels. 

• Like 1