LA SCALA SERIAL NUMBERS

STEVE HANSON

PICKED UP A PAIR OF LA SCALAS AND DOING A COMPLETE RESTORATION DUE TO A LOT OF ABUSE EARLIER IN LIFE. THE LH IS STAMPED  SN: 22T265 AND LABEL MATCHES PERFECT. THE RH IS STAMPED SN:22T266 AND A SPACE AND THEN 4.  LABEL IS SCUFFED RIGHT WHERE THE SN WAS WRITTEN ORIGINALLY. CAN YOU TELL ME WHY THE EXTRA DIGIT MIGHT BE THERE?

9 hours ago, STEVE HANSON said:

ANY MORE THEORIES AFTER SEEING STAMP ON WOOD VS. LABEL?....

Final Assembly MOST LIKELY accidentally stamped the "6" twice, and once it is stamped in there is NO WAY of UNSTAMPING it...ya'know?  It happens!

At least you KNOW who the "culprit" was: Ron Elmore...since he signed the label as inspector (meaning he did the final assembly and assignment of serial number and actually stamped the serial number into the speaker)...LOL!  Chit Happens!  Actually he SHOULD have taken the "X" stamp and hit one of those "6" numbers with it in a rotating overstamp to mark that "extra 6" out...but he was probably too busy shooting the bull with Gwin or somebody to take the time...likely happened after lunch, too...with that fresh new "inhale and hold-induced" post lunch-hour "mental state" in full throttle, if ya know what I mean!  ;)

• Like 1

On Saturday, March 04, 2017 at 7:38 AM, STEVE HANSON said:

WHAT WOULD THE #16 IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER REPRESENT?

Your guess is as good as mine...but it probably had something to do with pairing them up...16th pair for that day...they actually attempted to pair them up so that they would at least KINDA look similar to a "matched pair", even it they were "raw" models, but especially if they were bought as clear lacquered models.

The way the "cut list" went for LaScala parts (sides and tops), and doghouse assembly panels, pretty much negated the possibility of exactly matched pairs.  And the birch plywood used could vary in coloration from almost white with barely noticeable grain patterns to multi-colored with loud grain patterns...to even a medium to dark red.  So, since the LaScala was not specifically built to end up with a matched pair, final assembly would attempt to pair them up as best as they could...but to get an EXACTLY-matched pair was the luck of the draw...after all, they were considered STAGE speakers, not home speakers...and if people REALLY wanted a beautiful matched pair they would normally opt for BELLES, instead.

It is what it is.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

Final Assembly MOST LIKELY accidentally stamped the "6" twice, and once it is stamped in there is NO WAY of UNSTAMPING it...ya'know?  It happens!

At least you KNOW who the "culprit" was: Ron Elmore...since he signed the label as inspector (meaning he did the final assembly and assignment of serial number and actually stamped the serial number into the speaker)...LOL!  Chit Happens!  Actually he SHOULD have taken the "X" stamp and hit one of those "6" numbers with it in a rotating overstamp to mark that "extra 6" out...but he was probably too busy shooting the bull with Gwin or somebody to take the time...likely happened after lunch, too...with that fresh new "inhale and hold-induced" post lunch-hour "mental state" in full throttle, if ya know what I mean!  ;)

This could explain why my serial numbers are so misaligned :P

• 1 month later...

U S A    is this a trick question :D

my 79 Ramblin Rose Cornwalls have USA stamped on the right side

the left side has J A S

Andy told me the J A S were the first initials of the people who built and finished the speaker

20 hours ago, Budman said:

U S A    is this a trick question :D

my 79 Ramblin Rose Cornwalls have USA stamped on the right side

the left side has J A S

Andy told me the J A S were the first initials of the people who built and finished the speaker

Judy Clayton sanded those Cornwalls and I was the lead on the building, with Steve working the other side of the table.  Mitered Corrwalls were NORMALLY a two-person build...one person on each side of the table...the lead did the front end and the "tailer" did the back end once the box panels were glued up and put into the chain-clamps with t-handled binders, then stood-up while in the binders...mitered edges tapped to meet...then ready for corner glue blocks,"shelf blocks" (which supported the shelf for the porting),  rear panel glue blocks, motorboard panel glue blocks.  Took about 3-5 minutes to build one after locked into the chains, mostly depending on how hard it was to "tap-even" the mitered edges, prior to the remaining part of the build. 

• 8 months later...

I think mine are from the 70's but dont know how to read the serials, I bought them in the 90's from a night club and have used them for home audio but also live performance and they have always been great, no complaints, I would like to know the year though.

IMG_2229 (1).jpg

IMG_2200 - Copy.jpg

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

"N" is 1975 and that one was the 485th made. 

You have some uber easy upgrades available.  Ask in the Technical?modifications section. 

485th          the stamp says 085   i'm guessing you mean the 85th pair ???

• 3 years later...