LA SCALA SERIAL NUMBERS

STEVE HANSON

When did Klipsch stop stamping the serial numbers into the top edges on the backs of La Scalas? I'm looking at a pair of '85s, and only one has a partial label. Doesn't seem to be any stamped serial #s. 

So no serial numbers aside from the paper labels on '85s?

• Like 1

@JohnWactually , there are still serial numbers on some or most Drivers of the speakers after 1983  that can help us to determine the MAN/YEAR

Per example , the woofer serial no  is 1 way  to lookup  the Manufacturing Year of the speaker  , even if the speaker serial no TAG is missing .

7 minutes ago, 001 said:

@JohnWactually , there are still serial numbers on some or most Drivers of the speakers after 1983  that can help us to determine the MAN/YEAR

Per example , the woofer serial no  is 1 way  to lookup  the Manufacturing Year of the speaker  , even if the speaker serial no TAG is missing .

Is it possible to determine the exact serial # of the speaker that way? 

Just now, JohnW said:

Is it possible to determine the exact serial # of the speaker that way? 

yes and no ,  let's say the   serial numbers of the drivers  are consecutive , then we can deduce that the serial number of the speaker  is off by 1 digit  , but you would need to have at least  1 serial no tag from 1 speaker but not the other - otherwise we would only be able to determine the year of the speaker -

6 minutes ago, 001 said:

yes and no ,  let's say the   serial numbers of the drivers  are consecutive , then we can deduce that the serial number of the speaker  is off by 1 digit  , but you would need to have at least  1 serial no tag from 1 speaker but not the other - otherwise we would only be able to determine the year of the speaker -

I have one tag on one speaker. This is getting interesting. Would we confirm it by deducing it, or is it confirmable from Klipsch? And if so, can they issue new labels?

Klipsch La Scala

10 minutes ago, JohnW said:

I have one tag on one speaker. This is getting interesting. Would we confirm it by deducing it, or is it confirmable from Klipsch? And if so, can they issue new labels?

klipsch do not issue new Labels ,  -----    do you have a picture of the  Tag  ,  if yes , post it ,  that should tell us the year the speakers were made  ,  

2nd  thing to do is look at the serial nos on the 2 K-55V or the 2  K55M , are the serial nos consecutive ?    , yes , no  , that may be able to be verified by klipsch  , but dont quote me

3)-  -how about the tweeters K-77 ,  are there serial nos ?   

Finally , the woofers can also be verified for a TAG   a)  on the top or  2) the side of the magnet or  3)-engraved  on the metal basket

31 minutes ago, JohnW said:

Klipsch La Scala

1985  , Lascala Birch ----AL-2  Network , K77M Tweeter Electrovoice , K-55M   Midrange Electrovoice , K-400 metal horn - and K-33E Eminence Woofer

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, biggriff7420 said:

Now what do you take from this label? I believe it's a Salesman Accomodation Sample. But doesn't give you any material information.

you can't tell anything from the label ,  but you can look up the woofer , tweeter , midrange driver's serial numbers , that should tell us when the drivers were made and hence the manufacturing year of the speaker can be approximated

2 minutes ago, RandyH said:

you can't tell anything from the label ,  but you can look up the woofer , tweeter , midrange driver's serial numbers , that should tell us when the drivers were made and hence the manufacturing year of the speaker can be approximated

I know the year from the serial number engraved on the speaker. Just not sure how common this label was or any other special meaning it may have that I'm not aware of. 

On 1/21/2022 at 2:14 PM, JohnW said:

When did Klipsch stop stamping the serial numbers into the top edges on the backs of La Scalas? I'm looking at a pair of '85s, and only one has a partial label. Doesn't seem to be any stamped serial #s. 

klipsch stopped etching serial numbers around in the early 80's --but you can always track the serial numbers of the drivers ------tweeter-midrange-woofer for the manufacturing year , 

1 minute ago, biggriff7420 said:

I know the year from the serial number engraved on the speaker. Just not sure how common this label was or any other special meaning it may have that I'm not aware of. 

the serial numbers of the speakers can tell you  quite a bit of information  on the tag , since  @JRH may be able to trace in his log books  , to whom the speakers were shipped to , and if there was any notes added ,  as well @JRH  can tell you , what ?  was the meaning of the red markings ,

Please  reply with  the serial nos info of both speakers as well as a larger , more clearer picture of both tags for @JRH  .

3 hours ago, RandyH said:

the serial numbers of the speakers can tell you  quite a bit of information  on the tag , since  @JRH may be able to trace in his log books  , to whom the speakers were shipped to , and if there was any notes added ,  as well @JRH  can tell you , what ?  was the meaning of the red markings ,

Please  reply with  the serial nos info of both speakers as well as a larger , more clearer picture of both tags for @JRH  .

Here are the serial numbers of the La Scalas in question. Another question I always had, my Cornwalls were re done but the carpenter had to remove the tags on them and the tags were not saved. Is there any tags at Klipsch to get (maybe a copy)? To put back on the speaker?

20200310_135014.jpg

20200310_135008.jpg

8 hours ago, biggriff7420 said:

Here are the serial numbers of the La Scalas in question. Another question I always had, my Cornwalls were re done but the carpenter had to remove the tags on them and the tags were not saved. Is there any tags at Klipsch to get (maybe a copy)? To put back on the speaker?

klipsch does not re-issue tags , but the klipsch  tags are very easy to duplicate with computer software via a jpg or  a scan of an actual Cornwall  tag that would be correct for the year ,   an old tag is needed  to capture the colors and tints of the aged paper since a reprint would be a copy  , 

then you  can reprint a tag  without any  data on 24 lbs or 36lbs coated paper , and fill in the speaker's info  with a pen , the only info you might be missing is the " inspected "  and the " tested " signatures

IMG_6129.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/24/2022 at 11:34 AM, biggriff7420 said:

I think we can now  understand what these discolored  red stamp markings are ----NOT FOR RESALE , so  dealer demo units  , here is one of your tags , the 2nd tag   is from a different  speaker , with the red stamp marking ------not for resale -

Screenshot_20220224-103312~2.pngNo photo description available.

9 minutes ago, RandyH said:

I think we can now  understand what these discolored  red stamp markings are ----NOT FOR RESALE , so  dealer demo units  , here is one of your tags , the 2nd tag   is from a different  speaker , with the red stamp marking ------not for resale -

Screenshot_20220224-103312~2.pngNo photo description available.

Thank you! Was wondering if these units were any different from what was being sold or did they have more advanced options because they were used as a demo and as a way to draw customers to buy?