Cornwall III and sealed subwoofer

trioid

Many moons have passed by since I last posted....

FYI; recently purchased a SB16 from SVS and am working to match it up with a pair of Cornwall IIIs. Currently looking for the best low pass filter freq. and I am guessing somewhere between 40 and 50 Hz since the CW3s are not in a corner. Suggestions are welcomed! As usual, room position is the biggest problem, mostly for the sub, and I have very few options. I do like this sealed sub already - it sounds much better than other subs I have tried.

Cheers,

Jim

Sounds like you have a nice set up, that new SVS sub sure does look impressive! I myself like to run my mains full range and just let the sub pick up the very bottom, at least for music, it just sounds more natural to me. I believe the Cornwall III's are rated down to 38hz so I think you're right in the ball park at 45-50hz. I run a 15" sub with my RF-7 II's which are rated down to 30hz and I have my sub set at 45hz and it sounds great. Most of the time I don't even notice the sub unless I'm watching a movie when suddenly the wall behind my head will start to quiver and shake, which is perfect for me. Keep in mind the low end rating for the Cornwall III is the -3db point so you want to set the sub above that by at least 5-10hz but I'd play around a bit see what works best.

Hi jjptkd

Thanks much for your response, and for not dinging me for mentioning a non-Klipsch sub.:o After I posted I had second thoughts in that regard. Anyway, maybe Klipsch will get into that range. In the meantime, my findings are like yours and so far about 50+ Hz low pass with a roll off of 18 db/oct is quite nice. CW3s can thump the bass pretty good, and I run them full range as you do your RF-7s, but there is plenty of tasty musical material that the sub adds.

I do have a Paradigm crossover, but I really do not want to run the CWs through that, and I would rather not run just the sub through it either.

Any other suggestions are most welcomed!

Cheers!

Jim

This may not apply to C3's or your room, but IIRC, my old cornwalls from '85 had a definite peak in the 60-70 Hz range.  If you want to knock that down you might want to try a x/o as high as 80-100 Hz.  I cross my RF82's to a pair of Velodynes at 100Hz for the same reason -to reduce the bass hump, which in my case is a bit lower, down around 50Hz.