Help me choose some bookshelves

dwillie

Asking for a bit of guidance here, thanks in advance.  I know very little about Klipsch Reference Series speakers, as I've always been hooked on what we are calling Heritage these days.  I am in need of some small bookshelf speakers for an auxiliary system in the kitchen.  I have an opportunity to buy a pair of R-14M or a pair of RB-10.  Both I assume are black in color, no special veneer, and both have 4" woofers.  Haven't heard either of the two models.  Anyone care to give me an opinion?  Thanks again,  dee.  

I have problems with both choices honestly.

The R14Ms are from a lesser line of new speakers, the new Reference line.  I have the R15Ms, and think they are fine for surrounds but don't particularly like them much for 2-channel music.  A bit poor in the treble imo and mid-bass is OK.  They are rated down to the mid-60s in frequency range.

The RBs are older but come from a better line and better quality components.  The problem with those imo is they are rated only to 90hz, which is much worse than the R14Ms.  That's too high, you will miss too much mid-bass, even in a kitchen setup where it's not important.

I would consider, if possible, either the deal from Fry's (alerts section thread) for RB61s, or if you want to splurge a bit the newest RP160Ms.  But really I think the sweet spot, if you don't get the Fry's deal on the RB61s is to find a used pair of RB51s.  They are around for about $125-$175 depending upon condition, and really the lower end of that spectrum can be found easily, even down to $100 a pair.  They have nice range, sound better than the R14Ms or R15Ms and have range down to about 50hz, which is close to the RB61s and RP160Ms.  

So RB51s would be my suggestion, used, to get the best possible setup in the kitchen without spending much $$$.  

• Like 2

On 3/6/2017 at 9:46 AM, RoboKlipsch said:

I have problems with both choices honestly.

The R14Ms are from a lesser line of new speakers, the new Reference line.  I have the R15Ms, and think they are fine for surrounds but don't particularly like them much for 2-channel music.  A bit poor in the treble imo and mid-bass is OK.  They are rated down to the mid-60s in frequency range.

The RBs are older but come from a better line and better quality components.  The problem with those imo is they are rated only to 90hz, which is much worse than the R14Ms.  That's too high, you will miss too much mid-bass, even in a kitchen setup where it's not important.

I would consider, if possible, either the deal from Fry's (alerts section thread) for RB61s, or if you want to splurge a bit the newest RP160Ms.  But really I think the sweet spot, if you don't get the Fry's deal on the RB61s is to find a used pair of RB51s.  They are around for about $125-$175 depending upon condition, and really the lower end of that spectrum can be found easily, even down to $100 a pair.  They have nice range, sound better than the R14Ms or R15Ms and have range down to about 50hz, which is close to the RB61s and RP160Ms.  

So RB51s would be my suggestion, used, to get the best possible setup in the kitchen without spending much $$$.  

i agree with this. FYI amazon has the rb51ii for 199 shipped pr new, the energy cb10 aiso is a thought. little bit more tame but the deals have been really good since klipsch has basically done nothing with the energy brand after buying them years back

The R14-M are a great bargain for under $100 if you can find them at that price (I see them on sale somewhat often.) I have the older Synergy B-10s that are extremely similar (I believe I heard that the new ones have different tweeters) and they're a great bargain. Serious bang for their size and price. The bass is a bit whumpy and you may want to filter the bass if possible to protect those little drivers, but overall they work very nicely. I used to use them for computer speakers and for near-field video gaming and they never seemed tired at any volume level.

Hi Dee, I have a pair of RB-51 that are sitting unused. I have the original box and all paperwork, there is one small blemish on one corner from it falling off the couch before I got stands. Otherwise in perfect condition with very little usage. Was thinking $175 shipped. Let me know

Just as a generality, I would recommend bookshelf speakers have their ports in the front. I have a pair of RB61's in our bedroom on stands and pushed into corners as far as they'll go. The port allowing a longer excursion of the woofer to reach lower frequencies and those lower frequencies now vibrating the two walls behind them, have mine sounding pretty decent. Their source is a simple Pioneer Elite 120/wpm receiver using MCACC. 

So those 61's from Fry's is probably your best deal. Not really sure I would put Heresy's in the "bookshelf speaker" class.