Can RF-82 II woofer fit an RC-7?

EDIT: Just scroll to the bottom

Okay. So I just received an RC-7 center that I purchased from eBay.  That guy showed that it was pretty beat up cosmetically, but described several times that it works perfectly, etc. 

I don't care about the cosmetic condition. I understood that. But, he described it as fully operational and sounding "great" and even exchanged a message with me saying they sound perfect or like new.  His case is that I bought it as is because he described the imperfections you can see in the woofer shown on the photos(it has an indention in the woofer).  My case is that his description is purely cosmetic and he described its actual functionality as "great" and operating as it should(otherwise how am I supposed to detect audible imperfections in photos?). Now of course he is saying it worked perfectly fine when he had it and that it must be my room conditions or that I am trying to steal money from him.

Well. It's not working fine and it sure as heck ain't room conditions.   I'm almost certain the right woofer is bad(I only say that bc I don't know anything about x-overs).  The sound cracks up and echoes out of the right woofer. Sort of cuts in and out as well.   I've tried several other sources and movies, and tried other center channels to make sure the issue wasn't on my end.   I don't know enough of speaker components to know if it is a crossover issue(hope not), but the poor sound comes only out of the right woofer. The left woofer and tweeter sound fine from my tests. 

Like I said, the cabinets are beat to crap. Scratches everywhere except the top of the cabinet and some raised veneer on the bottom(which he conveniently left cropped out of the photos). Still I don't' care about how it looks.

What I do care about is a fully functioning speaker.  This one is not.  Some quick google searches brings up the fact that these woofers are now discontinued and I'd have to get a newer part which only has a different dustcap. 

Should I take the loss and buy the single woofer:

(this one) http://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-rf35-k1122-8-speaker-120860-replacement-120841/

OR

(this one for $5 morehttp://reconingspeakers.com/product/klipsch-1011974-rf-82-mkii-woofer/

And just deal with a speaker that has 2 different looking dustcaps(1 black and the other not) till I have extra funds to one day just replace the left woofer and sell the original? The other thing though is that there are only 3 available. What if I miss my chance on getting a matching woofer OR is there a way to put a black dustcap on the new woofer or the newer dustcap on the left?

I can tell you I don't want to pay $150 + shipping for 2 woofers that aren't original and could hurt resale value after I fix the cabinets.  If I did buy the 2 woofers, that brings my total to over $450 and I'd still have to repair the cabinet which could be cheap but require labor.

Still worth it for an RC-7?

Request eBay Money Back Guarantee?

Hilarious.  I found a single RF-3 woofer on sale on eBay for $54 after shipping. I've read that those are the same drivers in the RC-7.  I was prepared to purchase it right then and there and forget about this dispute with the eBay seller.

....then I realized it was from the SAME seller.   He AGAIN describes they have little imperfections(little indentions just like the RC-7 woofer) but that they are GOOD PHYSICALLY and in GOOD WORKING CONDITION. 

He is implying they function as they are intended DESPITE the little physical imperfections.  Exactly how he described the RC-7.   But, how can I trust the same guy who used that description for the RC-7 that has a blown woofer?  He says because it has sound, it is not blown and he can basically say that it's function and I've bought it as is. He's probably trying to sell another bad woofer with lots of distortion and pass it off as the same "you bought it as is even though I said it had little imperfection." Yeah. But you also said it works GREAT!

Sound comes out of my right woofer  but it's no good for actually listening to it. It's completely distorted and choked and cuts in and out. That to him means it's functioning but its listed as functioning as INTENDED, but that he's okay bc he said I can see imperfections in the phtoos.  Audible imperfection can't be physically seen and he keeps trying to accuse me of stealing from him when ITS ME that's been swindled.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I'd request a refund though as it's not as described.

I requested. He denied it.  He's saying it worked just fine when he sold it.  He's trying to pull a fast one and say because there is sound coming out, it's fine and that I probably damaged it or whatever's wrong is on my end and that he's in the right because he litsed the product "AS IS" after multiple times of saying it WORKS GREAT and even messaging me telling me it functions perfectly juts like his other rc-7 that he's selling for several hundred more.

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You could always spray paint the center of the new woofer and just keep the grill on.

Problem with that. The dustcap on the original woofer is raised. The newer replacements, it's a sunken in dustcap.

120841 comparison new

I sent him a message. Told him, look bro.  If you can tell me that the RF-3 single woofer you have for sale is DESPITE the physical imperfection, working as it is SUPPOSED TO and INTENDED, and even DESCRIBED. Don't want to get a woofer that has sound but again is distorted. If you can assure me those things. You send that woofer to me and I will send you back the right woofer of the RC-7 since you accuse me of trying to steal money from you and I feel like you're doing the same to me. Then we can end this whole matter and I can cancel my request for refund, and continue the payment so you can get paid and I will even rate you well for resolving this whole matter respectfully and honorably.

If not. eBay says we have until March 8th for us to resolve this or then I can ask them to step in.  Either way, as long as it takes, I believe he isn't getting the funds transferred to him while this request is open.

25 minutes ago, Maximus89 said:

I requested. He denied it.  He's saying it worked just fine when he sold it.  He's trying to pull a fast one and say because there is sound coming out, it's fine and that I probably damaged it or whatever's wrong is on my end and that he's in the right because he litsed the product "AS IS" after multiple times of saying it WORKS GREAT and even messaging me telling me it functions perfectly juts like his other rc-7 that he's selling for several hundred more.

Use e-bays arbitration or even pay pals.  I'd do everything possible to send it back.  If Pay Pal is associated with a credit card sometimes you can get them to withhold funds as well.

You can glue a cap on if it bothers you that much.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-dust-caps-repair.html

I put a finger at both ends to push the woofer in at the same time. The left woofer pushes in and out with ease.  Did the test on my Forte's and KG 3.2's.   Same thing.   Tried the same test with the woofer that's damaged.  Doesn't push in.   It's stiff.   Can this woofer be fixed?

Can a woofer with distortion and stiffness be repaired?

40 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

No.  The voice coil is shot.

He juts offered me a partial refund of $54 which covers most of the cost of the replacement woofer.  I could even go ahead and buy the 2 matching pair and sell the good driver from the original RC-7 for a decent price since they are rare and limited?  Have to  admit I love the look of those newer dust caps. Makes it look more modern and just overall aesthetically pleasing to me.  

This one:

klipsch_1011974 (1)

Klipsch 1011974 RF-82 MKII Woofer

This is the description form where I was forwarded to the RF-82 II woofer

"This woofer makes a great replacement for Klipsch 120841 woofer used in RF-3, RF-3 II, RF-5, RC-7 (the only difference is the dustcap).

Limited quantity available and then this item will be obsolete. Once these are gone you can use part 1011974 which is also a 8″ copper cone woofer with 8 ohm impedance. The only difference is 1011974 does not have the bucking magnet."

23 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It shouldn't be noticeable. 

Thanks. I've decided to go ahead on with buying the pair of new RF-82 II woofers for replacement and then I'm going to put the RC-7 working woofer up on eBay.  

I do have a quick question for you CECAA.  I see that you have a Dean G upgraded RC-7.  I'm interested in it and will pm you questions regarding that, but right now I'm curious if you have opened up the RC-7 before?   I'm taking out all the components to do some sanding tonight for refinishing the cabinet in Walnut tomorrow.  My problem right now is with taking out the tweeter horn and magnet.  The monster cables attached to it aren't the traditional clips I've seen where you just pull it out.  How do I take out the wires? Are they soldered in there?

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

It's been a couple years but I believe the connections on the drivers are the type that you push down on to release the wires.  

It looks like that would be the case but how do i push down? My fingers don't fit lol

Nevermind! I got it! That was easy peasy! 

Thanks!

Things always look scary at first.  I felt this way when i first put the Crites titanium diaphragms in the Fortes, and now it's like nothing to me. This is fun.

Got any tips on sanding the cherry finish?  What strength grit sand paper i should use?