HORRIBLE: the shrill is gone, findings

USNRET

4 minutes ago, Schu said:

Is there an impedance mismatch? I dont see the specifications on the 275.

I'd like to know what tubes are being used...

These are stock McIntosh factory tubes (KT-88s out)

copied from a guggle search

Also like the original, the new MC275 uses four KT88 power-output tubes, three 12AX7A input and phase-inverter tubes, and four 12AT7 voltage-amplifier and driver tubes.
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/mcintosh_mc275_power_amplifier/index.html#OxyZtiYeAyGgtRol.99

I just changed the topic to HORRIBLE to WONDERFUL

Apologies for my late return I have been too laid back grooving on tunes.

All back to normal polarity, still using un-balanced (try balanced later)

I went from 8 ohm tap to 4 ohm tap.

See you later, I have a fresh drink and some blues on XRCD cued up.

• Like 1

The impedance of a speaker is usually termed "nominal". I make it a practice to try the 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps to see which one sounds the best (to my ears). Differences? Yes, but not "night and day".

As others have stated, I would still be looking for the root cause of the issue.

1 hour ago, Max2 said:

If you could only have one of those, which would it be? 

Thanks Jimjimbo

Right now, from everything I've heard in the last 2 weeks, the MC225.  It's very, very close, but they all have different "signatures".  The 225 brings a bottom end that surprised me.

3 hours ago, TubeHiFiNut said:

The impedance of a speaker is usually termed "nominal". I make it a practice to try the 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps to see which one sounds the best (to my ears). Differences? Yes, but not "night and day".

As others have stated, I would still be looking for the root cause of the issue.

Absolutely agree with this, should be looking for an issue with the 8 ohm taps.  I would immediately contact Audio Classics and let them know.

So given this thread, can one of you geniuses enlighten us on what the sonic/tonal differences "should be" switching between 4/8/16 ohm taps, with everything being equal, say a tube amp/khorns/la scalas/etc...???  I'll be honest, I've never hooked anything to my amps other than on to the 8 ohm taps....What am I missing?  (If anything?)

2 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Right now, from everything I've heard in the last 2 weeks, the MC225.  It's very, very close, but they all have different "signatures".  The 225 brings a bottom end that surprised me.

Thats cool you can sample all three.   Have heard the 30's on La Scalas and man did they sound good.  I have read the shootout comparisons and it seems its like you said, all good, but each different in their own.   It seems someone picks one model or the other as a standout and it makes you wonder how much room for error there is setting up each model close to an optimum level.

46 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

So given this thread, can one of you geniuses enlighten us on what the sonic/tonal differences "should be" switching between 4/8/16 ohm taps, with everything being equal, say a tube amp/khorns/la scalas/etc...???  I'll be honest, I've never hooked anything to my amps other than on to the 8 ohm taps....What am I missing?  (If anything?)

I may be wrong,  but wouldn't higher ohms equal less THD ?

Well everything suks today no matter the tap. I have gone down to over the air TV audio out to Emo Mini-X amp to speakers and my best description is that any volume over about 60-65 dB causes all vocals / voices to have a very pronounced lisp. Squawkers are easy to disconnect (10ish ohms). I'll have to remove the backs and checks the tweeters.

Thoughts?

Complete tear down and build up with all new terminations. Tweeters 5.8 ohms, mids at 10.2. I haven't turned the Mc on yet just hearing crappy / broken mids from the Marantz / Emo / TV. Gotta be speaker related. I guess my next step is to roll my single Belle into a channel for a listen.

• USNRET changed the title to HORRIBLE issue found, the shrill is gone