HORRIBLE: the shrill is gone, findings

USNRET

Can mid drivers be bad but read good with a meter. My DVM starts at "open" then runs up to 10 ohms in a couple of seconds on the mids Reading the tweeters the measurement was instantaneous.

@USNRET you mentioned in an earlier post you hear a "lisp."  Could you describe that sound better, and is that the only frequency that is messed up?

my best description is that any volume over about 60-65 dB causes all vocals / voices to have a very pronounced lisp

Do you know what sibilance is?  The pronounced "sssss" you hear when someone is speaking with the letter "s?"  Could that be what you are describing?

Just now, wvu80 said:

@USNRET you mentioned in an earlier post your speakers had a "lisp."  Could you describe that sound better, and is that the only frequency that is missed up?

Do you know what sibilance is?  The pronounced "sssss" you hear when someone is speaking with the letter "s?"  Could that be what you are describing?

Dave, that is what I am hearing and it is very very pronounced; never had it before.

Just now, USNRET said:

Dave, that is what I am hearing and it is very very pronounced; never had it before.

That helps.  I have had that problem before, but I need to mull it over a bit to try to remember what caused it, and what I did about it.  I am thinking it was related to electronics on my Onkyo AVR.

If the Belle sounds fine, and you can unequivocally attribute the problem to the Khorns, call Klipsch and discuss it with them.  If this is an up to date used pair, why did the former owner get rid of them?  Maybe they were damaged??  If they were purchased new, from an authorized dealer, Klipsch will stand behind them.

TV broadcasts are sometimes more sibilance prone than Blu-rays or vocals on vinyl, CD, SACD, etc.

I still don’t know why your Khorns used to sound good with other amplification.  Was there an event that could have damaged them?  I’d try them with a high quality source (e.g., SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray, or an especially good CD, but NOT TV) and vary only the amplifier.  Here is a note I wrote to you yesterday when I couldn’t post it because the forum was down.  I think it still holds:

“Is there an audio store, or repair shop, or engineer near you who could run IM, THD, clipping point, and frequency response tests on the 275?

It's interesting that it distorts when you turn it up, because, with Khorns, that wouldn't be high enough to tax your amp.  According to a Dope from Hope in January 1977, an average of 6.3 watts will produce an average of a very, very loud 105 dB at a mic that is out in a 3,000 cu foot room at a distance of about 15 feet.  Naturally, 63 watts will provide 10 dB more, or an average of 115 dB, characterized as "too damn loud" by that same Dope from Hope article.  The peak level for frequencies above about 80 Hz that THX and others recommend for Cinema is only 105 dB.

I have no idea what is wrong with your amp, if anything, but if, perchance, it is clipping at 6.3 to 63 watts, using the 8 Ohm tap, something is!

Good luck!”

3 minutes ago, garyrc said:

If the Belle sounds fine, and you can unequivocally attribute the problem to the Khorns, call Klipsch and discuss it with them.  If this is an up to date used pair, why did the former owner get rid of them?  Maybe they were damaged??  If they were purchased new, from an authorized dealer, Klipsch will stand behind them.

TV broadcasts are sometimes more sibilance prone than Blu-rays or vocals on vinyl, CD, SACD, etc.

I still don’t know why your Khorns used to sound good with other amplification.  Was there an event that could have damaged them?  I’d try them with a high quality source (e.g., SACD, DVD-A, Blu-ray, or an especially good CD, but NOT TV) and vary only the amplifier.  Here is a note I wrote to you yesterday when I couldn’t post it because the forum was down.  I think it still holds:

“Is there an audio store, or repair shop, or engineer near you who could run IM, THD, clipping point, and frequency response tests on the 275?

It's interesting that it distorts when you turn it up, because, with Khorns, that wouldn't be high enough to tax your amp.  According to a Dope from Hope in January 1977, an average of 6.3 watts will produce an average of a very, very loud 105 dB at a mic that is out in a 3,000 cu foot room at a distance of about 15 feet.  Naturally, 63 watts will provide 10 dB more, or an average of 115 dB, characterized as "too damn loud" by that same Dope from Hope article.  The peak level for frequencies above about 80 Hz that THX and others recommend for Cinema is only 105 dB.

I have no idea what is wrong with your amp, if anything, but if, perchance, it is clipping at 6.3 to 63 watts, using the 8 Ohm tap, something is!

Good luck!”

He did not have a problem until he put the MC-275 in the system .

1 hour ago, babadono said:

With all the ohming out of drivers I am assuming you have done this....but are all the connections at the crossover good?

On this year model of KHorns the crossovers are inside. Haven't been there yet. Belle is next up for try out but the BOSS is upset with the living room mess so troubleshooting has ceased.

The KHorns were new in box (factory sealed) purchased from an individual 'used' and sound great until Friday night when I introduced the Mac 2500 pre and 275 amp.

I have tried them with XRCD discs in the Oppo and FLAC files from my server using 2 different pre and amps and 1 integrated. I used both digital and analog out from the Oppo.

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

On this year model of KHorns the crossovers are inside. Haven't been there yet. Belle is next up for try out but the BOSS is upset with the living room mess so troubleshooting has ceased.

Just for now, I hope.  Does the BOSS know the torture you are going through?  Maybe the BOSS would like to get away on a nice trip for a few days.  Maybe the BOSS could help you troubleshoot ... a team project ... an adventure .....  

36 minutes ago, garyrc said:

Just for now, I hope.  Does the BOSS know the torture you are going through?  Maybe the BOSS would like to get away on a nice trip for a few days.  Maybe the BOSS could help you troubleshoot ... a team project ... an adventure .....  

Just go ahead and stab me in the eye :P
The wife has had 6 sinus and prosthetic inner ear implant surgeries since 2005. She is mostly deaf but hates upper mid range distortion.

She started having severe vertigo issues in Dec and her ENT surgeon in Atlanta had not responded to requests for records (multiple requests beginning in Dec- finally received Friday) so she could get cleared for MRI / Catscan to see what is causing her issue. Walking and driving is touch and go.

A nice trip? We have reservations to get the son and daughter snow ski lessons in Colorado starting in 7 days. Due to issues at work I can not leave here. Every other member of the management team has been placed on administrative leave and I am it 24/7. Silver lining is I am still here. Senior management, VPs and investigators from corporate have been making my life h*ll for the last two weeks; they left Friday. Came real close to telling them to shove it and walking away. I'm still here.

Oh and then there is this stereo issue.

Cheers!

12 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Oh and then there is this stereo issue.

Man, you've got a lot on your plate.

Still, when you have a speaker/amp problem and the wife doesn't like the chaos needed for troubleshooting, that has got to be frustrating.

I think you know how to troubleshoot but it takes time to swap amps, sources, cables etc.  My general advice is for you to establish success.  Have you gotten the 275 to work correctly on other speakers?  Do any of your other amps sound good with the Khorns now?

I know it's possible for you to have blown a tweeter, but it doesn't sound probable.  The AA crossover was an updated design from the Type A specifically to protect the delicate K-77 tweeter.

What bothers me is that others with more experience haven't encountered this particular problem before.  Did you say you updated your XO's?  If not, have you done a physical inspection with a flashlight to see if you can find anything obvious, like a leak from one of those old caps?  They can leak from being old even if they have not been run.

• USNRET changed the title to HORRIBLE issue found, the shrill is gone