Are "audiophile grade" fuses the key to "sonic nirvana?"

tube fanatic

I don't know, it doesn't seem all that crazy to me, but I am speaking out of ignorance in this area.

If you tele-tubies will spend $500 each for NOS Russian tubes from the last century, why then is a high quality, ie expensive fuse a bad idea?

• Like 1

Fuses are a break point in the circuit.  To much current and the wire inside the  fuse melts and shuts down the system/amp.  This a one part of a protective chain along with surge protector.  From my understanding, a fuse does not impart sonic ability to the amp despite what some audiophiles think.

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I don't know, it doesn't seem all that crazy to me

I've got gold plated fuses for you, a mere $500 apiece, if you want the rich, warm tonality of gold.  Silver plated fuses if you like that fast, crisp sound of silver, for just $400!!  Act now, these prices won't last! 

• Like 2

just a question to those who commented. How many of you have actually experimented personally with aftermarket fuses? If you believe that something is snake oil that's fine but I think that readers deserve to know what you have based your opinion on so they can know what your bias is. This goes a long way to opening up a real discussion. If you stated that you thought something like this was "bunk" (nothing wrong with you holding that opinion) I could ask you why you thought that and you could explain why you thought that was the case. Having read your opinion I could then consider your position but I would not be asking you what you thought about the sound of one or how this one sounds compared to that one since I know that you have not experimented with any of them. Learning can happen when people have open honest discussions about things but backs get up when people don't give consideration without any sort of reasonable discussion.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

I've got gold plated fuses for you, a mere $500 apiece, if you want the warm tonality.  Silver plated fuses if you like that fast, crisp sound of silver, for just $400!!  Act now, these prices won't last! 

---- Any left?!? 

41 minutes ago, richieb said:

---- Any left?!? 

Moray bought them all.

Moray, can you give any credible reason why a fuse should make an audible difference?  Seems the onus is on the ones claiming their fancy fuses result in audible differences.  All I see in that thread is a bunch of Dunning Kruger cases wallowing in placebo effects.

• Like 2

In all honesty I have considered/wondered about hi-end fuses before. But nothing in the $400-500 range. For actual proof in one's system it would require to actually use one. While I'm not volunteering as guinea pig I am interested if there in validity to the claim(s). 

I know people scoff at claims that wire/cable is all the same but I Do know in my rig, with my Jubes, changing crossover connection wire changed the sound. And it was wire on hand, nothing to justify an expensive purchase, only what I heard. 

41 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

Moray, can you give any credible reason why a fuse should make an audible difference?  Seems the onus is on the ones claiming their fancy fuses result in audible differences.

I'd like to hear this too.