Are "audiophile grade" fuses the key to "sonic nirvana?"

tube fanatic

Without taking these fuses apart you really don't know what's inside.  My GUESS after reading the link from Maynard (and with no further information) is that they are probably not just fuses but have some other electronics in them that either filters power or changes the power in some way.

9 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

After a little more reading I was right.  One in particular brags about the patented power filtering it does to clean up the power and thus reduces high frequency distortion.

Jeesh, its got a ferrite bead in it. Big Deal

• Like 1

Pulsed Electron Alignment

"Our largest and most powerful, this is a floor-stander. The Monolith is designed to go beside each speaker and one behind the listener would be very beneficial as well. The Monolith allows the sound waves to arrive at the listening position much easier giving a very big soundstage, better dynamics and detail. $1500.00 ea.

The theory behind the P.E.A.'s is to align the way the electrons are spinning. Electrons will either spin up or spin down: this is called "spintronics". When you have billions of electrons spinning every which way this creates mass chaos in and around components, in the air, etc. By aligning the electrons, everything works a lot more efficiently and eliminates noise. What this means to your listening experience is a more realistic and musical presentation with tighter and more dynamic bass, high's that are delicate and more natural, and midrange to die for. It will take your system to a whole different level. And the beauty is the P.E.A.'s is that they will work for everyone, I simply won't believe anyone who says they can't hear it!"

It's Audio Magic!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

probably not just fuses but have some other electronics in them that either filters power or changes the power in some way.

If that is the case, and this "unit" is supposed to do something other than properly fail when it reaches an amperage limit, there is no friggin' way I would place something like this into any of my amplifiers or other gear.  A properly manufactured, correct value fuse should be the first line of defense on the input side of a component to prevent an over amperage condition, and nothing more.

• Like 1

In lieu of only considering a hi-end fuse I opted for a roofing nail cut to length - cryogenicly treated of course. Current flows like shitt through a goose. Great top end sparkle, holographic mids. But every now and then I get a faint sound of someone hammering within amp. I may change nail configurations ---

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moray james said:

You make it sound like such a deplorable thing to do. Imagine someone wanting to have a different opinion. Oh my.

Opinion's dont cost $4oo+

However you are likely displeased because your installation is not complete, Top grade "Fusing" is worthless unless you first isolate the transient harmonics.

acc_blocks.jpg

• Like 1

Like cables, if these fuses were doing what they were supposed to do they'd act as a fuse, and nothing more.  If they are changing the sound they, like fancy cables, are some form of attenuator.  Attenuating the circuit is the job of other components, as part of the design of the amp, preamp, cd player etc. 

If  these guys weren't in it for a fast buck, and actually had some engineering skills, they'd be designing better circuits, not better come-ons. I sometimes feel I know more about electronics then these clowns do, and I know diddly about electronics. 

Now wait just a minute Thebes, if you don't know diddly why are you commenting?

Duh.  Common sense my friends.  Common sense, can overcome marketing hype any old day.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thebes said:

I sometimes feel I know more about electronics then these clowns do, and I know diddly about electronics. 

It's all about marketing. For example: "Our new silver/rhodium fuses sound so much better with the taint of Bob Carver, that one must have to purchase these to really appreciate the difference!"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, richieb said:

In lieu of only considering a hi-end fuse I opted for a roofing nail cut to length - cryogenicly treated of course. Current flows like shitt through a goose. Great top end sparkle, holographic mids. But every now and then I get a faint sound of someone hammering within amp. I may change nail configurations ---

Galvanized or not?