Are "audiophile grade" fuses the key to "sonic nirvana?"

tube fanatic

The question is NOT "does a high priced fuse enhance the sound" but instead should be "does a typical glass fuse degrade the sound?"

You guys make fun of us "devils advocate people" all you want, but not one of you has produced one ounce of evidence to support your position.

I can be convinced either way, given some credible evidence.  So far I haven't even heard an anecdotal story.

The big question is whether the characteristics of a power transformer primary can exert an effect on the sound of a piece of equipment.  A one inch long fuse element in series with one primary lead is such a minuscule part of the situation that it is very hard to believe that it could make any difference.  And, if it can, then the whole construction of the power transformer itself has to be evaluated since it should be configurable to make a difference that anyone can hear.  Perhaps if the primary is coated in beeswax, or injected with some magic proprietary goo, it will be better?  I have never seen claims from a manufacturer that they use special materials in the construction of the power transformer which results in vastly superior sound.  

Maynard      

• Like 1

Holy cow, I just realized that these guys are talking about fuses in the power line, not in the audio signal path. While I can certainly see where fuses might be audible in the signal path, I really doubt that they have any effect in the power line.

37 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The question is NOT "does a high priced fuse enhance the sound" but instead should be "does a typical glass fuse degrade the sound?"

I would say no seeing there is no sound passing through it. It's there to protect the AC line voltage, I would think there would be more influence on the sound after the power supply than before it. Also if there so magical how come Hi-End manufacturers don't put them into their amps if I were paying 10k plus I would expect something better than a 2 dollar fuse. 

^^^^^

Mike you left the best for last, only $220. I'd venture a bargain at twice the price. Certainly looks well constructed from premium materials. And when walking by the receptacles as my rig is on I do feel something "stray" peppering my leg as I walk by. And I never knew why. Thanks Mike, now I do. For as little as $2K I can equip my whole room. Excuse me, I have an order to place.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...