I just ordered my new Klipsch speakers. I decided to go with two RP-280F, a RP-450C, two RP-250S, and a R-115SW. I'm super excited to join the Klipsch owners community. Im upgrading from and 8 year old Onkyo HTiB system. I bought a new Denon AVR-X4200W after buying a new Samsung 60" KS8000. I'm beyond excited to get the new speakers and start rocking out and watching some movies!

• Like 2

I will be posting my initial thoughts and also a later update after I have used them for about 100+ hours. I initially debated getting two subwoofers and may still upgrade so I will update on that aspect as well. Thanks for the well wishes!

#BeLoudBeProud

• Like 1

Congrats on coming aboard here at Klipsch.

I must say you did your homework as I cannot criticize a single part of your system purchase.

I particularly like your AVR choice and think you'll love it with that setup.

And yes, you'll want a 2nd sub.  You won't "need" it, but you will really as it helps a lot to smooth out the room.  

• Moderators
On 3/6/2017 at 7:56 AM, Coolerf said:

Im upgrading from and 8 year old Onkyo HTiB system.

Welcome, your in for quite a huge upgrade. It will be shocking compared to the Onkyo HTIB. :emotion-21: 

On 3/6/2017 at 6:56 AM, Coolerf said:

I just ordered my new Klipsch speakers. I decided to go with two RP-280F, a RP-450C, two RP-250S, and a R-115SW. I'm super excited to join the Klipsch owners community. Im upgrading from and 8 year old Onkyo HTiB system. I bought a new Denon AVR-X4200W after buying a new Samsung 60" KS8000. I'm beyond excited to get the new speakers and start rocking out and watching some movies!

I just recently got the 280F's and the 450C from Cory and they are awesome! You're gonna love them!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is my setup except for dual subs. I don't know your room cubic feet, but believe me, dual subs are the way to go. You might have liked dual R-112SW subs; however, you've already bought the 115 so consider another as a future upgrade. You'll never go back to a single sub. :-)

We love to spend other folks' money--and even offer excuses for your significant other ("But if I buy all three, I'll save $450. Don't you want me to save us $450?").

What about rear surrounds? I'm using the older RF-82s replaced by the RP-280Fs. Of course you can use the bookshelf models, but if you have working older ones....

That will get you to 7.2. If you want to enjoy Dolby ATMOS or DTX HD Master object-based sound, you'll need height speakers. Upfiring with RP-140s models won't sound as good at using them as height speakers angled towards the floor. They don't have to be ceiling mounted. Mount them in pairs between the fronts and surrounds and surrounds and rear surrounds. That's what I've done and firing them directly without reflecting sounds much better (although it's always possible that bouncing sounds good in your room--you can always try both ways like I did).

See, we've got you to 7.2.4. You'll need an 11 channel amps for this, so unless you have 11 powered amp channels, you'll need a either an 11.x avr or an add-on 2 or 3 channel amp.

Then put a UHD disc in your player and prepare to duck from the carnage and mayhem flying all around and over you. The Normandy beach landing in "Saving Private Ryan" is downright scary (scarier).

Have fun!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Listen several weeks without Audyssey, then set it up.  Read this first  "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

After running Audyssey, most people turn up their subwoofer by about 4 to 6 dB (or more) to maintain the subjective feeling of strong bass once provided by undesirable room peaks that Audyssey has smoothed out.   Do not turn up the sub before running Audyssey,  or Audyssey will just turn it down again.  It is best to turn up the sub(s) using the gain knob on the sub itself, rather than boosting the trim control on the AVR subwoofer output, because the AVR trim should be kept below -3 with most AVRsthese outputs will clip on some AVRs but not others, but the higher the volume you playback at, the more likely this output will clip.  Put up any room treatments before running Audyssey.

Research indicates that most people tested will think perfectly flat response is "bass shy," and a curve with the bass end about 8 or 9 db higher than the treble end sounds "flat."  Audyssey gives you a nice smooth curve to start with, rather than a kinky one.