Stereo separates

dtr20

I've been contemplating where I should go with my stereo setup now. I have a Pioneer sx-1010 solid state receiver and a Harman kardon fa3000x tube receiver that I can switch back and forth. I'm running klipschorns with recapped type aa crossovers. I mostly listen to CD's on a 5 disc denon CD changer. I thought about buying a DAC for it, but reviews on DACs with CD players caused hesitation. I occasionally listen to vinyl, and then I stream music via an Amazon echo dot.

I've tried an adcom preamp and amp setup and I wasn't impressed, I feel like my receivers sound better. Should I be looking at emotiva or something? I'm trying not to break the bank, but I'm entertaining the idea of upgrading.

I really don't see the appeal to having separates if you like what you're getting from the receiver.  Seems to me to be more an opportunity to waste money on a hypothetical, marketing driven "upgrade".  I say listen to music with your receiver, use the funds to go to concerts, or a tropical beach, or even a concert on a tropical beach.  (Ok, that last one will cost more than a few stereo components.)

The Harman Kardon tube amps sound awesome. The 1010 - I have not heard, but I have heard a 939 and its absolutely lovely too.

What adcom ??? I cant imagine a 535 didn't sound good on the Khorns. Or a 5500, or 5800 which are the only ones I have owned.

But if you like the 1010, try an sx2500. Or a Marantz 2230.

Cool.

Srinath.

Adcom has never really sounded great to me...even since the original GFA-1, GFP-1, GFT-1, etc., and I sold it at retail for 4 years back with the GFA-535, 545 & 555. Some swear by it though. But, you could keep the preamp if it has an acceptable phone input, I can recommend without hesitation in investing in a separate tube amplifier. The VTA ST-70 that I built from a lot and running in my system leaves little to be desired. It was a fun and rewarding build that will be with me for the long haul. Or talk to Maynard about one of his amps. But if you have a grand to spend and want it to be worthwhile, I recommend the ST-70. 

51 minutes ago, Schu said:

I am a big believer in separates... I find that limiting cross talk helps with air and openness of the image. Specially when an amp will use a common power supply.

---- And to take that one step further I'm a believer in monoblocks. So now you have three power supplies; one for the preamp and one each mono. Or if not monos I'd prefer a single solid state amp to run dual mono at the least and with twin trannies at the best. 

6 hours ago, dtr20 said:

It's not that it didn't sound good, it just didn't impress me compared to my receivers. I had higher expectations, that's all.

Are you open to integrated amps?

I am a huge fan of the simplicity and of course the spot-on preamp/amp matching.  There are some really excellent performers out there and you don't have to get a second mortgage to be able to purchase them.

Bill

6 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I thought an integrated amp was pretty much the same as a receiver but without a radio tuner.

I think that applies more to older integrated amps than those mfr'd today.  I think it is more accurate to say that current integrated amps are pretty much a preamp and amplifier all in one chassis, with some available with built in DACs and or phono preamps.  The build/sound quality of today's top stereo receivers are not even in the same ballpark as their integrated amp counterparts.  The receivers of yesteryear were built with the care, craftsmanship, and high quality parts that the integrated amps of that era were built.

Bill

8 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I have an adcom gtp-400 preamp and a adcom gfa-545 II amp. I also have a marantz 2238b receiver that sounds similar to my Pioneer.

LOL, the non cap coupled adcoms never caught my attention.

545 < 5400 (if they even make one). 555< 5500 definitely. The 5500 even looks better IMHO.

GFA535 #2 < gfa535 (even if it has less output).

Swap that 545 for a 5500 or a 5400 or a 5800 and give her a whirl.

Cool.

Srinath.

17 hours ago, richieb said:

---- And to take that one step further I'm a believer in monoblocks... 

Separate components are an upgrade. How large an upgrade is dependent on your component selection. I put tube mono-blocks high on my list.

4 hours ago, tom b. 57 said:

I believe in spending as much as you can, actually more than you can afford. Then continue to want to spend more and never really be satisfied, because we all know there is better to be had.

Tom

Actually, with modern McIntosh gear there really isn't anywhere else to go. Why not live your life enjoying the best that Klipsch has to offer.