No longer NEED a subwoofer....

SWL

Let me get this straight. You have your low pass set at 30hz...which means the sub should only play 30hz and down, right?

But according to the graph, the sub still plays all the way up past 100hz.....and smoother on it's way there?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, SWL said:

You have your low pass set at 30hz...which means the sub should only play 30hz and down, right?

Nope. Analog filters are continuous and infinite. Regardless of slope and cutoff, signal passes until it's buried below the noise floor of the system.

7 hours ago, SWL said:

But according to the graph, the sub still plays all the way up past 100hz.....and smoother on it's way there?

The sub is +12 dB SPL from ~30 Hz at 100Hz. The filter is about -12 dB V.  It's not exact but the two balance in large part, until the subwoofer rolls off.

FWIW - My mains are high passed at 200 Hz. Take a guess where the actual crossover is. ;)

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 7:23 PM, SWL said:

Since starting this thread, I went to town trying to figure out why my Tubas weren't sounding as impressive as before. The main reason....upgrades to the mains and upgrades to my upstream components made the mains sound considerably better.

But as I looked into it further, I realized my gains weren't right on my amp powering the Tubas. Since I got that right, I went nuts cranking those suckers. The power these subs have is incredible.

So after making the proper adjustments to the sub amp, the Tubas are sounding nice again at normal levels.

Wh

No reason to start the subs to low.  Down low, they will add weight but, most of the beat, tightness is coming from above 40 or 50 Hz.  With music, I use only two subs 90% of the time and you know they are there at high and low volume.

43 minutes ago, eq_shadimar said:

Nothing to add other than you can never have too much bass :P

If watching Star Wars, probably not.  Otherwise, you can definitely have too much, or too little, unless accuracy is of no interest.  Granted, with rock, there is "makes me happy" and accuracy is rarely an issue.

Anyway, haven't heard from you in a while, Jeff.  Still in the same house?  Or did you have to move due to structural instability from all the vibration? 

Dave

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I'll guess 2 octaves down.  50 Hz?

Close. It ends up being 90 Hz.

So with filters set at 30Hz and 200 Hz on paper it reads like there'd be a gaping hole. In practice though, it yields nearly flat response employing little to no EQ (very important for preserving transient quality) with the addition of roughly 6dB or more of headroom at unity gain from 40 Hz-125Hz.

For SWL, it might help to keep in mind that signal response and cabinet freq response are two separate concepts. They work in tandem, but are fundamentally discrete. The filters condition the signal, which then drives the speakers, etc. etc.

• Like 2

Spent some time tonight tweaking some hi-pass settings....keeping in mind what QH explained.

It just doesn't fly. When I hi-pass my 30's, taking away 120hz and below is like a major sin with these speakers. That tight, punchy bass outclasses the bass coming out of the Tubas in my room. However, blending the two together....complimenting the 30's with the Tuba bass works very good for me.

The next thing I did was move one of the Tubas out of the corner. So now there is a Tuba on the outside, slightly behind each left/right speaker.

This is working very good. With the mains running full range and the subs x-over set at 35hz, the bass is cleaner this way....more air and seperation. Sometime this weekend I'll have to let er rip and give it the official test.

I have never had any other subwoofer take as long to break in as these Tubas. Maybe it's because I baby them 99% of the time. I normally listen at 65-75db.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk