LaScala mid horn

mr.pee1

511 horn you say ??? Now, would a 511 work on a jamboree and would the corresponding 80* driver function to make it a good 2 way ?

I mean in the same league as the K401 ??? or is that a 402 - the one that was intended to keep the jubilee as a 2 way.

Cool.

Srinath.

The 902 isn't the best driver to go into a 511 or an 811. You really need the 808 or 802 or almost any 80*.

I however get the fact that in any case they sign off ~14k.

Need a super tweeter to fill to 25k (yea I need 25k, cos unless you nicely overshoot, it tends to start losing it before 20k). In fact B&W's Matrix series is speced to go to 28k.

Cool.

Srinath.

4 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

The Altec 811B is an 800Hz horn, and therefore not very compatible with the La Scala. The Altec 511B pictured in the middle here, is a more suitable match for the La Scala crossover frequency, but may not sound better than the K400 horn in most home listening rooms.

The 511b clearly sounds better than the K401 in my living room in my Khorns.

• Like 1

Haven't tried the K402 yet or a real k510 (which may sound better than the knock off I tried).  I have tried the EV HP9040 and HP640.  If depth wasn't an issue, I would go with the 9040 over the 640.  However, the HP640 is a fantastic horn to use by itself.  Now if you needed to stick with a 1.4" driver, then I wouldn't mind giving the EV HR9040 a try.  I have tried the 511b/k55v  with a tweeter and didn't care for it.  Once I switched to the EV HP640, I have been good for some time.  Next horn change up will be to the K402, I just need to get some cash saved up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Srinath said:

Now, would a 511 work on a jamboree and would the corresponding 80* driver function to make it a good 2 way ?

I mean in the same league as the K401 ??? or is that a 402

This is a bold statement as I have never heard a k402, normally I don't make recommendations when I have never actually heard something.  But since I have heard a 511b and horns comparable in size to the K402.  I would not say that they are no where near the same league.

I tried a 511B and 902-8B.  Crossed at 500 Hz and 12 dB/octave (I think), the 902s buzzed on piano at loud-ish levels.  The sound was very similar to the Klipsch squawker/tweeter, i.e. very good.  I remember trying to damp the lips and horn with rope caulk, so perhaps I heard something from that. 

I ended up using the Altec top end with FH-1s crossed at 1k and they sound very sweet.  Looks like I don't have a finished pic.

01-28-06_2346.jpg

mocksys1sm.jpg

18 hours ago, richieb said:

Whoa - are those yours 'Heel?

Altec mid? Is that a JBL Babycheek atop it all? Who did the crossover?

Very cool.

Mine.  The tweets are Beyma baby cheeks.  Altec horns and drivers. And to comment on an earlier statement the Altec horn is much smoother than the K400.  Night and day difference.  Al Klappenberger gave me the specs for the xovers and my bud bluesboy built them.

• Like 1