Why are tweeters smarter than me?

I just picked up a pair of 83 Heresys. I plan on bringing the components on the crossover back up to modern times but wanted to make sure the actual drivers worked before investing in the crossover. So long story short- the tweeters needed new diaphragms and I got them. I had some trouble unsoldering the old ones and melted some (minor) portion of the assembly but when I finished installation of the new diaghragm...no sound. Hooked up the squaker to the tweeter terminals and I get sound. My new tweeter is a different story though on the same terminals. I must be missing some knowledge here.  How can I know if the new assembly is adequately soldered? Any ideas from the brethren?

Sit-rep: Finally had time to sit and tinker. So what I've found is that the tweeter assembly where the diaphragm gets soldered on has not been compromised by my novice soldering and melting techniques. I tested this by externalizing an entire copper wire cable of about 8 inches and running it on the same course as the tweeter diaghram. Good news...the wire is a circuit if the two terminal ends are connected. So I've now pretty much decided that at some point in my first attempt at tweeter diaphragm replacement I broke my brand new voice coil or lead wires. All that's no fun but I've put another on order and hope to replicate my very successful replacement of the other tweeter. Caps (Solen, 5%, metalized polypropylene) are also on order and I'll drop those in the crossover next week. Additionally, I've done quite a bit of reading on this forum about replacing the T2A transformer and the inductor but have decided not to despite their visual age. Any further thoughts on the crossover bits?

I'm on a complete freeze. The new diaphragm and caps come in sometime this week. I'm hopeful that it and the caps will happen around the same time because I really want to hear these things play. I've put the working K-77M, one of the K-53-K horns, and a K-22 in a cabinet and put the back on with the original crossovers. I'm amazed at how much better they sound since the time when I initially took them home- more balanced, less depressing. A little TLC really helped these babies in sound and looks. My girlfriend was a little taken back at how bright the highs were and honestly so was I. I'm messing around with taping a 2 ply tissue in the horn's throat to quell the shrill (but then again that's just the old Klipsch heritage style). 

On BOB Crites site there are  complete instructions to put in the diaphragms.

Do you have a treble control to tame the high freq.?

I think your just not use to hearing good speakers I do not think they are shrill at all. When you rebuild the crossover you should get a little better sound I think.

"I think your just not use to hearing good speakers"

I really hope that isn't the case or my Fortes were a waste haha but I know what you mean. This is my first run through with the true Heritage line instead of my extended Heritage. I'm running a Yamaha receiver so my treble control is limited a little. The working Heresy I have now doesn't sound bad, just very efficient.

Woo! Thank goodness this week is finally over. I sat down tonight and installed the new tweeter diaphragm and made sure it worked. New caps were also installed tonight in one network for A/B purposes. Talk about a second wind....cymbal hits during music playback on the updated crossover network are in your face while the old network kind of shrugs off the cymbal all together. I'm so glad I paid the money for the new caps. Also I made the mistake of finding out how hot solder is on the back of my hand. Every speaker project leaves a mark but this is my first with solder. Does that mean I'm in the club now?

• Like 1