Brand New Bob Carver VT-305M mono-blocks ( Cherry)

pallpoul

I picked up a pair of Bob Carver VTA-305's black beauty mono tube amps,great sounding amps with smooth detailed midrange,with plenty of bass.I plan on setting up these beautiful amps on German Copulare stands that I had custom finish paint job

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:08 AM, tube fanatic said:

Since the amps have volume controls, and considering the extreme sensitivity/efficiency of the LSs, you may do better by simply connecting your source(s) directly to the amps.  You need to be very careful if going with a preamp as you will have so much combined gain between the former and the amps that noise can be an issue (even if the amps are extremely quiet). 

I must ask you a question- other than the joy of owning such amazing equipment, why did you choose amps with such enormous power output?  Unless you have a huge listening room, and listen at ear shattering levels, it's unlikely that you will ever need more than a couple of wpc.

Maynard    

Ty Maynard for the input. It was an impulse buy. I have received them but still boxed up for now. I have a Primaluna Dialogue amp (using EL 34 's) that I really like, so I maybe ending up using it with the La Scala's. As you've mentioned with those Carver's, there would be a lot of wattage left on the table, as I have a medium size listening room ( ~ 14 # 18 ft.) and I tend to listen at medium to low volumes.

As much as I like everything about them I may end up listing the Carvers or sale.   

• 2 weeks later...

I finally had the time to do some critical listening with the Carver 305's,Ithey replaced an Aloia ST-13.01i 30 watt solid state amp with inductive power supply.The Aloia amp has plenty of power for khorns,deep bass and great sound stage,but the Carvers are smoother on the top end and has a more relaxed sound.People that think Klipschorns are not a high end speaker,has not taken the time to get the most out of them.I have a pair made in 1980 with walnut finish,I upgraded the crossovers to ALK Cornscalla/Universal models with B&C DE-120 tweeters,I also upgraded all wiring to 12 gauge copper.I added pipe insulation to seal the backs to the corners.These small changes makes a huge difference in sound stage,image and bass response.I had friend over and he could not believe the sound and we listened for a couple of hours and he was amazed.