Just purchased Klipsch 535 B Jubilee. Have questions.

diamonddelts

The original design of the bass bin has that channel across the back to maintain the smooth expansion at the second fold of the bass bin:

jubilee PDF.gif

I don't believe that detail was important to maintain since you now see a smooth back.  Roy redesigned the bass bin for greater manufactureability around 2008 when the shop complained about assembly time.  That's when he introduced the solid stiffener inserts in the last fold of the horn (the three little "shelves" that the ladies want to put their little trinkets on).  Prior to that date, the bass bin had six discrete stiffeners in the final fold--like the ones in my 2007 bass bins.

33 minutes ago, diamonddelts said:

I heard. I sent you a pm wanting to place an order for Jubilees through you however I never received a response.

Sorry man, I must have overlooked it or had something come up at that instant and forgot.  Too much going on sometimes, I apologize.  

6 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I'm looking for a center speaker below 40 inches in height to go with my Jubilees. I normally prefer matching speakers for fronts, center, and rear speakers. That is how I've done all of my other setups. However this will not be possible with this Jubilee setup in my small room.

Will a Klipsch Lascalla blend well with the Jubes? Or do you all think it might get drowned out or hurt the articulation of my front sound stage? I'm also looking at KI-398 RGL for a possible center speaker.

That is where the idea of the JubeScala came up....  LaScala bottom with a K402 (or K510) on top (or the 510 on the inside, replacing the original horns)

Chris has come up with a nifty idea too.

In my case, I'm intending on putting the K510 inside the top of the LaScala and then setting my TV on the top.

If I ever go to a screen (I'm kind of doubting that), I've already prewired for power in the ceiling and run some wires to the wall so an electric screen can be used.

"""""I've been looking at the 415 low-frequency section. Wondering how they perform with both music and movies?""""" 

If I were using an all active system,  I would have no hesitation buying the 415 section before jubs.  Love the jubs too though. 

On 3/28/2017 at 7:55 PM, Coytee said:

Chris has come up with a nifty idea too.

Well thanks there, Richard. ;) 

First time one of my creations has been called that.  I suppose it looks nifty by comparison.  Perhaps hot rod red?  Emerald green?  Indigo blue?  Clear?  Choice of wood veneer? 

Black just seems so blasé...

Chris

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, Chris A said:

Well thanks there, Richard. ;) 

First time one of my creations has been called that.  I suppose it looks nifty by comparison.  Perhaps hot rod red?  Emerald green?  Indigo blue?  Clear?  Choice of wood veneer? 

Black just seems so blasé...

Chris

Plexiglass!

• Like 1

I've let the Jubilees break in over the last five days by letting them play various music tracks on my playlist for twelve hours per day while I'm at work. I will try to temper my thoughts as best as possible.

Pros

Jubilees bass bins give out very clean, accurate bass.   They sound excellent on many music tracks. Their bass is prominent when called upon but does needlessly draw attention to itself. Horn loaded bass blends well with highs and mids  from K402 with 1133 cd and K510 with K691 cd.

Cons

I've heard direct radiator bass  from double 8 inch woofers and double 10 inch woofers sound every bit as clean as the low end bass from the Jubilee bass bins. And they were in bass boxes  less than a third of the size of the Jubilee bass bins.

Midbass impact with movies is underwhelming to me.  I fully understand that Jubilees will need a subwoofer to complete the lowest octaves. However my JBL  pro cinema speakers gave immense midbass with movies even when I had my subs turned off.  Jubilee midbass with movies sounds a bit thin, and too light.

Conclusion

I've owned over forty different speaker setups. I've owned every speaker in the Klipsch Heritage line up. I've owned speakers from JBL pro Cinema and QSC pro cinema. I've also owned high end "audiophile" speakers such as the Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamond. The Jubilees were supposed to be the culmination of a long speaker journey for me which started back in 2003.

I've been saving for these speakers since 2010. The horn loaded mids and highs sound great with music. They are very revealing and dynamic. The three way version of these 535 Jubilees do sound better the further you sit from them and they can easily overpower a room. 

I must admit I am torn at this time between keeping the Jubilee bass bins and experimenting with more amps or scrapping part of this purchase and ordering a pair of KPT 415 bins from Klipsch.

Some people state the Jubilee bass bins are discernibly cleaner than the KPT 415. While others have stated the KPT 415 have better slam with heavier sounding bass. I feel like the K402 and K510 need a fuller sounding, heavier bass that can keep up with them for movies.

However I do not want to give up any sound quality or articulation with music. I don't want heavy, muddy sounding bass which will color and cloud the clean treble and mids coming from the horn loaded mids and highs.

I use my system for music and movies. So I need speakers which excel in both realms. Not sure which way to go at this time.

6 minutes ago, diamonddelts said:

...I feel like the K402 and K510 need a fuller sounding, heavier bass that can keep up with them for movies...

Have you measured the frequency response in-room.  Your comment above appears to be an EQ problem.  IIRC, you're using a passive crossover...? 

Perhaps hearing another pair of Jubs might help you with identifying the source of the problems?

Chris

24 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Have you measured the frequency response in-room.  Your comment above appears to be an EQ problem.  IIRC, you're using a passive crossover...? 

Perhaps hearing another pair of Jubs might help you with identifying the source of the problems?

Chris

I'm using a passive crossover for now. I plan to go active in a few months when my finances permit. I don't know of anyone else in Austin, Texas with Jubilees to hear?

1 hour ago, diamonddelts said:

I'm using a passive crossover for now. I plan to go active in a few months when my finances permit. I don't know of anyone else in Austin, Texas with Jubilees to hear?

I am sorry the Jubilees are not working out for you.

Before you do anything drastic, you might consider re-orienting them in the room to a different pair of corners. After that I would suggest trying an active crossover (even if it is modestly priced one for experimental purposes). I have had my Jubilee bass bins in a few different rooms, and the room interactions can make a difference; however, in every case the bass always sounded excellent and certainly much cleaner than what you can get from direct radiators.

Good luck,

-Tom

2 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I don't know of anyone else in Austin, Texas with Jubilees to hear?

Well, if you're ever through Arlington...there's a pair here that you're welcome to audition. 

There also might be a loaner Dx38 in the deal...

Chris