Just purchased Klipsch 535 B Jubilee. Have questions.

diamonddelts

11 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

Just bare walls for now. I just moved into this home. I will add room treatments later when my finances permit it.

What receiver and or amplification are you using to drive the speakers?

22 hours ago, shiva said:

What receiver and or amplification are you using to drive the speakers?

I'm using a pair of Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monoblocks with a Integra DHC  80.3 prepro.  I love the effortless dynamics that come with a powerful amp. So I'm going to buy a pair of DSonic M3-1500 monoblock amps soon.

If those don't work out I will settle on a pair of Emotiva monoblocks. I played with some of my DBX crossovers last night. I tried boosting the bass at various frequencies between 40-80hz but I did not like the outcome. Bass sounded overbearing. I also hooked up the K402 and 510 horns to a pair  of single 15" woofers I had for some custom speakers last night.

Bass sounded thick and prominent. Great for movies. But did not blend well with music. Called too much attention to itself. So  if I can only serve one master, I choose music first. I'm going to pair these speakers with a bigger amp and a horn loaded subwoofer.

22 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I've let the Jubilees break in over the last five days by letting them play various music tracks on my playlist for twelve hours per day while I'm at work. I will try to temper my thoughts as best as possible.

Pros

Jubilees bass bins give out very clean, accurate bass.   They sound excellent on many music tracks. Their bass is prominent when called upon but does needlessly draw attention to itself. Horn loaded bass blends well with highs and mids  from K402 with 1133 cd and K510 with K691 cd.

Cons

I've heard direct radiator bass  from double 8 inch woofers and double 10 inch woofers sound every bit as clean as the low end bass from the Jubilee bass bins. And they were in bass boxes  less than a third of the size of the Jubilee bass bins.

Midbass impact with movies is underwhelming to me.  I fully understand that Jubilees will need a subwoofer to complete the lowest octaves. However my JBL  pro cinema speakers gave immense midbass with movies even when I had my subs turned off.  Jubilee midbass with movies sounds a bit thin, and too light.

Conclusion

I've owned over forty different speaker setups. I've owned every speaker in the Klipsch Heritage line up. I've owned speakers from JBL pro Cinema and QSC pro cinema. I've also owned high end "audiophile" speakers such as the Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamond. The Jubilees were supposed to be the culmination of a long speaker journey for me which started back in 2003.

I've been saving for these speakers since 2010. The horn loaded mids and highs sound great with music. They are very revealing and dynamic. The three way version of these 535 Jubilees do sound better the further you sit from them and they can easily overpower a room. 

I must admit I am torn at this time between keeping the Jubilee bass bins and experimenting with more amps or scrapping part of this purchase and ordering a pair of KPT 415 bins from Klipsch.

Some people state the Jubilee bass bins are discernibly cleaner than the KPT 415. While others have stated the KPT 415 have better slam with heavier sounding bass. I feel like the K402 and K510 need a fuller sounding, heavier bass that can keep up with them for movies.

However I do not want to give up any sound quality or articulation with music. I don't want heavy, muddy sounding bass which will color and cloud the clean treble and mids coming from the horn loaded mids and highs.

I use my system for music and movies. So I need speakers which excel in both realms. Not sure which way to go at this time.

To be honest from what I have read so far I get the impression you are making judgments based on an improperly setup system and a fairly empty room with bare walls is adding to your issues.

Also note impressions of midbass impact/attack depends on the fundamental and harmonics being reproduced properly and getting the complete system into proper balance is critical..!!!    Anyone using the actively driven 2-way jubilee system can give a demonstration of this critical fact at the push of an LF or HF output channel mute button.

21 hours ago, diamonddelts said:

I'm using a passive crossover for now. I plan to go active in a few months when my finances permit. I don't know of anyone else in Austin, Texas with Jubilees to hear?

What passive are you using..?

The passive that is provided with the system is only for the MF to HF and active DSP is still required to properly setup the loudspeaker system.

miketn

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 8:16 PM, Khornukopia said:

The impession I get from some of the above comments and looking at the spec sheet, is that you will have a passive crossover between the midrange and tweeter, but may need to install a separate electronic crossover between the woofer and midrange in bi-amp configuration.

This has been pointed out by several members during the past month, but from what I have read so far, it seems that this speaker install MIGHT still be lacking a component. Please enlighten us about the specifics of the crossover arrangement for your Jubilees.

1 hour ago, mikebse2a3 said:

To be honest from what I have read so far I get the impression you are making judgments based on an improperly setup system and a fairly empty room with bare walls is adding to your issues.

Also note impressions of midbass impact/attack depends on the fundamental and harmonics being reproduced properly and getting the complete system into proper balance is critical..!!!    Anyone using the actively driven 2-way jubilee system can give a demonstration of this critical fact at the push of an LF or HF output channel mute button.

What passive are you using..?

The passive that is provided with the system is only for the MF to HF and active DSP is still required to properly setup the loudspeaker system.

miketn

I had a custom 3 way passive crossover made for me.

53 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

This has been pointed out by several members during the past month, but from what I have read so far, it seems that this speaker install MIGHT still be lacking a component. Please enlighten us about the specifics of the crossover arrangement for your Jubilees.

I had a custom passive 3 way crossover built for me.

I wish the Jubes hit a bit deeper. But that is a minor issue which will be fixed with a subwoofer. My only major gripe with the Jubes is their size. Ive owned speakers such as the Bowers and Wilkins 802 Diamonds which had bass that sounded every bit as clean as the Jubes and they did not have low frequency sections the size of a mini fridge.

20 minutes ago, diamonddelts said:

I wish the Jubes hit a bit deeper. But that is a minor issue which will be fixed with a subwoofer.

One of the things that upstream EQ will do is to give you a solid frequency response from 40 Hz down to 31 Hz - which is a really big deal in terms of Jubilee listening performance.  I don't know what your passive crossovers are doing in terms of EQ, but I really do recommend using some form of measurement in-room to measure their frequency response (microphone one metre in front of each Jub at mid-height). 

Then you have the option of using some EQ upstream of the your preamp to at least correct the in-room response, especially frequencies below the so-called Schroeder frequency of the room (usually around 200 Hz for most home-sized rooms).

This is one of two issues using passive crossovers with Jubs--the other being time misalignment at the crossover frequencies--and you've got two of those with the three-way Jubs, the upper one being by far the most audible. 

Understand that these aren't B&W direct radiating loudspeakers; Jubs require EQ, notably on the bass bin below 250 Hz, and most importantly boosting EQ below 40 Hz.

Chris

All is well! I used my prepro equalizer to apply a +2db boost  to a few frequencies in the 100hz-400hz range. These babies are SLAMMING now.

This is the clean midbass slam I was looking for with music. I can see I am going to have learn more about proper DSP software but the potential is here in spades.

I would say the separation in the highs and mids range is 30% better with the Jubilees in comparison to my previous JBL pro cinema speakers. I can hear every lyric in a song clearly on low volume while sitting in the back yard. Sounds like they talking right next to my ear. 

I cant say these speakers are worth four times the price of my previous JBL 4722 speakers. However the difference in midrange performance is substantial enough to warrant the money spent for me.

Just now, diamonddelts said:

own the Klipsch MWM bass bins

I had six double stacks once.  When it got close to the time to move and put them all into the new man cave......I changed my mind and let them go.   Little by little.  I had a back ach just thinking about them.

3 minutes ago, jwc said:

I had six double stacks once.  When it got close to the time to move and put them all into the new man cave......I changed my mind and let them go.   Little by little.  I had a back ach just thinking about them.

I hear you. I am an avid weightlifter, but I am not getting any younger. I no longer have the desire to lug around heavy equipment. Which is why I switched from 80lb+ behemoth Class AB amps to 14lb Class D monoblocks. 

Love the efficiency. And my back is much happier as well. :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jwc said:

It is hard to move Jubes around...esp by yourself.  The shape makes it to where you can't get your legs under you

I used piano movers under their bottoms to move them around downstairs. Upstairs in the loft area I can just push them from side to side since they are on carpet.